• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dance of ruin a little overpowered

calighis

First Post
BOVD
brd2,clr 2, sorc/wiz2
1 full round action.

Area effect
All non demons within 25ft +5ft per level take 2d20 points of damage.
reflex for half.
A bit much for a cleric?

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
That just sounds like a really stupid spell. It's not even like the actual dance of ruin? Is there an equivalent devil spell? I doubt it, WotC's a bunch of demon-loving jerks.

To answer your question, it's almost 4d6 over a VERY large area, and with the right party, even gives selective targeting, so yes. Too much for a cleric. Arguably for sorc/wiz and bard, too. The good area spells generally don't happen till level 3. anything level 2 tends to be fairly small in radius. The casting time would be a hindrance if it were 1 round instead of 1 full round action.

I'd say ban it. :):):):)ing demons get enough goodies already. And if you nerf it, remove the part about not hurting demons in addition to whatever nerfs you give it. To me, nothing says Chaotic Evil like not caring about hurting your allies.

frankthedm

First Post
BOVD spell = Might not be balanced for PC use.

Notably for the cleric since they have the most durability.

Granted, I would have loved that spell With my King In Yellow inspired sorcerer.

Runestar

First Post
As a spread, it may be hard to aim properly, especially if you want to avoid hitting your own party members. Makes more sense in the hands of a low level wizard npc who just wants to nuke the entire party with 1 good spell before he goes down.:)

calighis

First Post
As a spread, it may be hard to aim properly, especially if you want to avoid hitting your own party members. Makes more sense in the hands of a low level wizard npc who just wants to nuke the entire party with 1 good spell before he goes down.:)

Yeah I have been thinking that the actual application is difficult to pull off at best. You need to be in the center of a large group of baddies to be really effective. So in the hands of a wizard or bard this spell doesn't make much sense. But a cleric with some masterwork armor and shield... (No prob by third level) He has the hit points and the AC to withstand being totally surrounded. So charge into combat and hit something. The big question is how to pull off casting a full round spell surrounded by bad guys. Do you have to make a concentration check every time you are attacked during that round?
If so I can see allowing PC's to do that.

calighis

First Post
That just sounds like a really stupid spell. It's not even like the actual dance of ruin? Is there an equivalent devil spell? I doubt it, WotC's a bunch of demon-loving jerks.

To answer your question, it's almost 4d6 over a VERY large area, and with the right party, even gives selective targeting, so yes. Too much for a cleric. Arguably for sorc/wiz and bard, too. The good area spells generally don't happen till level 3. anything level 2 tends to be fairly small in radius. The casting time would be a hindrance if it were 1 round instead of 1 full round action.

I'd say ban it. :):):):)ing demons get enough goodies already. And if you nerf it, remove the part about not hurting demons in addition to whatever nerfs you give it. To me, nothing says Chaotic Evil like not caring about hurting your allies.

What do you mean 4d6? It's 2d20. That is so unfair. I rolled a couple of d20's today just to see how it would feel. Getting results like 32 dmg and better from a second level spell in that big of an area.... that just feels like cheating.
None the less...
This is the first time I have played an evil cleric, currently at 2nd level.
The DM said any published WOTC.
I can't wait for the day to whip this baby out. I wonder if I'll get an insta ban.

Runestar

First Post
Another problem is that the spell occurs only right before your next round starts. Meaning that an astute foe may sense that something is wrong and move away from you, potentially wasting the spell.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
What do you mean 4d6? It's 2d20. That is so unfair. I rolled a couple of d20's today just to see how it would feel. Getting results like 32 dmg and better from a second level spell in that big of an area.... that just feels like cheating.
None the less...
Yeah, I thought it was 2d10, which is about 4d6, it's actually quite a bit better. I was trying t ocompare it to stuff like scorching ray (single target, starts out only 4d6 and it's fire damage, easily resisted). This spell's strong for a wizard, nevermind a cleric.

Another problem is that the spell occurs only right before your next round starts. Meaning that an astute foe may sense that something is wrong and move away from you, potentially wasting the spell.

The casting time would be a hindrance if it were 1 round instead of 1 full round action.

I think you're confusing a 1 round casting time with a full round casting time. There is no such problem with this spell.

Bad Paper

First Post
err, yeah, 2d20 is more like 6d6, but with a flatter curve, so it's "more random." kinda fits into a more-chaos flavor

6d6 for a second-level area spell? wtf?

among other things, I allow neither 3.0 sources, nor the BoED/BoVD set, so there's no way this spell makes it in. I might allow it as a third-level spell, but it just drips with Stupid, so I would ban it.

And it is poorly named. As a DM who has a ring of vrocks currently dancing in a circle of our (paused) combat, I'm getting a kick out of this thread.

Remove ads