• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dancing weapons

Rkhet

First Post
How do these work, exactly?

-Can I use a Dancing weapon and still attack with another weapon?
-Does the Dancing weapon get all the hit/damage bonuses that the character have?
-Can I Arcane Strike with a Dancing weapon?

A fighter takes a move action up to the enemy wizard. He lets go of his Dancing weapon as a standard action. Can the Dancing weapon now make a full attack? An attack? Or does it sit there until next round?

Steve Jung

Explorer
Rkhet said:
How do these work, exactly?

Yes
Rkhet said:
-Does the Dancing weapon get all the hit/damage bonuses that the character have?
No, just the character's Base Attack Bonus
Rkhet said:
I don't know
Rkhet said:
A fighter takes a move action up to the enemy wizard. He lets go of his Dancing weapon as a standard action. Can the Dancing weapon now make a full attack? An attack? Or does it sit there until next round?
I'm not sure

Darkwulf

First Post
One of my favorite "just for the mental image" character concepts is the dancing weapon juggler. He doesn't really make any attacks himself, just spends all his actions retrieving and activating a series of dancing swords.

Sadly, he'd have to be filthy rich. :)

Infiniti2000

First Post
Rkhet said:
The answer you are looking for is probably yes, but note that you cannot attack in the same round you loose the dancing weapon.

Rkhet said:
As noted, just the BAB.

Rkhet said:
You are not armed with the dancing weapon, so no, but my recollection of arcane strike may be a little fuzzy.

Rkhet said:
This is the big debate on dancing weapons. I say it gets a full attack because (a) there's no limit specified (the sword attacks on its own, much as if you summoned a bear), and (b) its very expensive.

Also, think about this one. On round 3 (for example), the sword makes a full attack. The wielder then grabs the weapon and makes a full attack himself. Is this doable? If necessary, let the fighter wielder until the sword attacks.

And that brings up another point. What happens with the sword when the wielder delays? Does the sword maintain its previous initiative? Can the wielder ready an action to move in the middle of the sword, thus giving the sword a potential full attack at different points in the battlefield? For example, say a fighter is fighting opponent A, who is adjacent, and opponent B who is 20ft away. The fighter (BAB +6) readies to move up to opponent B when A drops. The sword attacks once in a full attack action and drops A, triggering the readied action. Once moved, the sword continues its full attack action on B . . . legal?

Infiniti2000

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
Does this mean if its a Vicious weapon, you don't take the 1d6 damage?
I'm thinking yes, but I don't remember that as well either. But, if it were a holy weapon and you were evil, then you wouldn't have the negative level. If that helps. I read that you are not armed with it and you are only considered wielding it "for all maneuvers and effects that target items". Like sunder, disarm, etc. You are otherwise not wielding it (note, no AoO).

Pickaxe

Explorer
Is a dancing weapon therefore considered unattended for purposes of sundering?

--Axe

Edit: Posted before I2K's response (post #6) went up. Thanks for the clarification!

Last edited:

ThirdWizard

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
I'm thinking yes, but I don't remember that as well either. But, if it were a holy weapon and you were evil, then you wouldn't have the negative level. If that helps. I read that you are not armed with it and you are only considered wielding it "for all maneuvers and effects that target items". Like sunder, disarm, etc. You are otherwise not wielding it (note, no AoO).

I hadn't thought of the holy weapon thing. That's very interesting. I might employ that, actually. :)

Remove ads