• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DAoC

craftyrat

First Post
Are there any DAoC players here who'd be willing to give me their opinion of the game? I'm a long-time Everquest player, and I'm thinking that I might be ready for something new. My most immediate worry with DAoC is pvp, as I am not the slightest bit interested in pvp. I know it only takes place in certain areas, but is the higher level game really viable without it?

(ff comments would also be welcome, but I have a deep-seated and largely irrational dislike for anime, and the pictures I have seen suggest that style)

Thanks for any replies,

craftyrat

Sakzilla

Explorer
I played the game for about a year, so I have a few opinions.

Server-wise, the RP servers like Guinevere tend to have a better atmosphere. Not people running around talking in thees and thous or anything, but in general more disciplined gamers. The non-RP servers have cute stuff (I saw a pair of characters named Skipper and Gilligan) mixed in with a million LOTR rip-off names. You wouldn't believe the number of ways people spell Legolas (legolaz, legolazz, leegolazzzzzzzz, etc.

RvR-wise, noone really goes on the big epic scale relic raids anymore, so you can get by on PvE. Unless you are one of the main fighter classes or a necromancer, you will have to group. They made leveling easier, but support roles like a cleric cannot effectively play solo. So if you don't mind groups/guilds, no problem. But this is definitely not a solo game unless you play a fighter type.

Alot of the little tweaks they added, like player housing, are great for those who actively emerse in the community. The rest of it you have to experience to know if you like it.

Note: I left DAOC to beta SW:Galaxies and couldn't stand it. I chose not to go back to DAOC and now am playing the NWN family of games.

ControlFreak

First Post
I play DAoC regularly. I had come over from EQ a long time ago, and then left for SWG and am now back. DAoC is great if you know people who play and have a guild. I'd hate to start from scratch knowing nobody again. However, the game is great as far as I'm concerned, and they are still adding things to make it better (just announced a major RvR update as a free expansion).

dagger

Adventurer
One thing the are coming out with is a free expansion to revamp the realm vs realm aspect (PVP). Not sure when it is coming out though, shouldn't be to long.

Taurren

First Post
I've played EQ and DAoC since shortly after it came out. Opinions vary greatly between players but I found it to be a great game, especially when compared to EQ. Here are a few personal reasons why.

1. I am a casual player and couldn't afford to spend the hours and hours required for high level EQ Raids. With DAoC I could spend an hour or 2 on the game and accomplish things.

2. Less down time than EQ ( faster recovery of Hits & Mana) :)

3. No naked corpse runs :D

4. Superior graphics, flowing capes, guild emblems and over-all "feel" when walking across a realm.

5. EQ has many more zones and more "over the top" fantasy, but DAoC has that quasi- historical flavor that I personally love.

6. Becoming a crafter is an effective way to make not only good coin but better equipment than MOB drops if you are good at it. It is time consuming but some folks love it!

7. Combat is more than fun and detailed with special melee attacks, positional attacks and endurance to keep track of.

In response to your question about PvP ... there is a server called Gaheris that is only PvE ... no PvP at all and x3 times the content of a normal DAOC server as you get to freely travel through ALL the realms. The high level PvE game is a viable option in DAOC. Its not as robust as EQ, but it is fun.

With the latest expansion "Trials of Atlantis" DAoC has introduced massive quests and puzzles in the search for near-legendary artifacts through a number of brand new zones. It has a similar feel to a number of the higher end EQ quests.

I hope that helps you.

Good luck and I hope you have fun.

Last edited:

craftyrat

First Post
Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to try out the PvE server over the holidays. Too bad my regular EQ groupmates HATE DAoC :p .

Can anyone recommend a good solo-able class?

craftyrat

Sakzilla

Explorer
My roommate has 3 50th level Armsmen. Yes he's a tool, but the Albion Armsman is probably the easiest solo class, and you can do a variety of weapon styles - they get crossbows, 2H weapons, and sword/shield.

Good luck and have fun.

Taurren

First Post
For solo classes ...

If you like combat, I would say the Paladin as that class has not only access to plate mail but AC, Dmg, Endurance and Healing buffs as well!

If you like casters, try the necro.

Just my 2 cents ... and welcome to DAoC and Gaheris!

Shard O'Glase

First Post
what about the cabalist, he seemed kinda buggy but he was soloable by my friend back when he played this game. If I were to play the game he'd be my choice, I really liked the description of him.

Kitsune

Explorer
One thing to bear in mind is that, as of my time playing it shortly after release, DAoC's atmosphere is as bland as cardboard compared to EQ's. Walk around and get tree, rock, tree, hill, tree, rock, more trees, and just replace trees with mushrooms for Hibernia and with more rocks for Midgard. Add in monsters who just sort of stand around amid the trees with no real reason for being there, and I got tired of the game and left after a month. The gameplay is superior to EverQuest's, with an altogether better thought out way for melee fighters to do their thing, and roles for healing classes that take a lot of the aggravation out of keeping the party buffed and healed.

Unfortunately, all of that excellence in design just went towards grinding eternally through fairly identical monsters until you could actually survive out in the RvR battlefields. And then just going out and trying to kill players in the same way every night.

Despite its various flaws, EverQuest at least had a very interesting world to poke around in, if one actually bothered to talk to people and explore.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads