• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Matter Campaign

Achan hiArusa

Explorer
Trail of Cthulhu has a interesting take on Sanity which could be translated into BRP/d20 thusly:

1. Generate Sanity Normally.
2. Then generate a stability score equal to your Sanity. It is not subject to the 99-Cthulhu Mythos maximum.
3. All SAN losses come from Stability first. If your stability is reduced below 0 you start taking losses from Sanity instead (though in Trail you actually take 1 SAN for every 5 points of negative stability).
4. You are subject to normal effects of insanity.
5. Your stability regenerates to full between cases. You must have a pillar of stability to do so (which is a person, hobby, etc). You have one per 20 points of stability. If you lose one your max stability is reduced by 20 points.
6. Your basic level of sanity is based on your SAN or stability whichever is higher.

Illithids also make for great aliens...perhaps a little toned down, but excellent nonetheless.

I'm actually gonna run this in my game, mainly using material from Lords of Madness and Monster Manual 5 (the Thoon Mindflayers) using them as an invading alien empire that has conquered many galaxies in menace manual and dark*matter it mentions that their is an alien race that they fear, in my game that's the illithids and the gardhyi are their advance scouts.

ronin

Explorer
Pick up this PDF. It's a never-released-in-print supplement for the Alternity Version of Dark•Matter that focuses on the Final Church and the Demons they worship. The adventure is pretty nice, and is pretty easy to convert to d20M, and the general information on cults and demons is also pretty fluff-heavy. Plus, it's less that $5!

Good call! I picked it up and have read thru about half of it and you were right, there's alot of info in the book. Definitely worth the price- thanks for the suggestion.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm actually gonna run this in my game, mainly using material from Lords of Madness and Monster Manual 5 (the Thoon Mindflayers) using them as an invading alien empire that has conquered many galaxies in menace manual and dark*matter it mentions that their is an alien race that they fear, in my game that's the illithids and the gardhyi are their advance scouts.

For the record, they're what I used for aliens in an as-yet unrun War of the Worlds based campaign.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads