• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark*Matter in Dungeon

rowport

First Post
:eek:
WOW! Am I really the first to post about the AMAZING Dark*Matter article in Dungeon #108? It is so cool, there are not words to describe it. The writing is excellent, the setting detail provocative, and the artwork is incredibly evocative. (The art reminds me a lot of Bill Stenwicz (sp?).) I had heard from a friend that the original Alternity setting was good- having now read the article I am tempted to go eBay hunting to check it out.

Forget Buffy, this is all about X-Files, baby. :D

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
What you've heard about the original Alternity Dark Matter book is true and more. It's been called the best RPG setting book ever written by fans and industry professionals alike, and I'm inclined to agree. I wish I could say exactly what made it so incredible, but it's just....kapow! Fwoosh! Zing!

:)

twistnack

Explorer
I friend gave me his copy of Dark Matter. I didn't have anyother Alternity books at the time, but I loved it anyway. I can't wait to get my hands on Dungeon 108.

Andy_Collins

First Post
Dark Matter

Alzrius said:
What you've heard about the original Alternity Dark Matter book is true and more. It's been called the best RPG setting book ever written by fans and industry professionals alike, and I'm inclined to agree. I wish I could say exactly what made it so incredible, but it's just....kapow! Fwoosh! Zing!

:)

Agreed.

Even as a lowly editor on said tome, I was thrilled to be involved on such a gorgeous project. From the words to the pictures to the graphic design, this book is well worth picking up for *any* gamer, and particularly for those interested in modern-day gaming.

It was an honor to be asked to "update" the setting to the new ruleset, and I'm really glad to see that people are liking it.

tmaaas

First Post
Even though I can't see myself gaming in the "Dark Matter" universe (not my style), I was impressed with the quality of the article in Dungeon.

Kudos, Andy.

Ranger REG

Explorer
I have to ask, is someone going to do a full review of Dark*Matter mini-game/setting? I'd like to know if I should pick up the magazine.

Aeris Winterood

First Post
Dark*Matter

The original book rocked... I sold all of my Alternity books save one... Dark Matter... I use it extensively with a CoC campaign now... I sure hope it gets more support!

Aeris Winterood

First Post
d20 Modern????

Any chance an updated version could be written for d20 Modern? I noticed that the Hoffman Institute was in the Menace Manual, and a few other ideas from it....???

Felon

First Post
All in all, a pretty darn good article. It is a bit disappointing that it has the same design problems with the advanced classes that the D20M pulp AC's had, namely that the authors seem to run out of ideas when it comes to putting together 10 levels worth of class features for a non-combat archetype like the antiquarian. So instead they just give them a variant of bardic knowledge (which is basically a relic of 2e that's been largely supplanted by the Knowledge skill), and Bonus Languages. Kinda blah there.

Last edited:

Remove ads