DARK*MATTER: Midnight at Milwood Morgue

Cowpie Zombie

First Post
Milwood, England.
Wednesday, December 2, 2004.
8:56 p.m.

You make a mental note: never come to England in the winter. The rain has been pouring for what seems like weeks. Maybe if you were in London it would be a bit more bearable, but here you are in Milwood, a depressing backwater town 100 miles from nowhere, a town that makes the rest of northern England look good (and that's saying something).

You felt uneasy the moment you entered this town. Dirt roads (mud now), crumbling brick buildings, cars with half-rusted bodies parked haphazardly in front of deserted storefronts. Children (the few you've seen) with dirty faces and ragged clothes, like something from Somalia or the Balkans--or maybe a Dickens novel.

Whereas most of the people you've met in England have been friendly, the people in Milwood have been...different. You can't really say "rude", because rudeness implies a certain deliberateness, a certain aggression, and the people of Milwood don't seem deliberate or aggressive about anything. Vacant, more like it. Distant. And sad. Their faces drawn, pale, dark circles under their eyes, teeth yellow and, in some cases, brown.

You can't wait to get the hell out of this town.

After being told by blank-faced townspeople that there are no inns or bed-and-breakfasts (and certainly no hotels) in Milwood, you decide--almost with relief--to keep driving. Not having to stay the night in this place is just fine with you. Since it's been a long day, however, and since the rain isn't letting up anytime soon, you decide to spend some time at Charlie, the only pub in this Godforsaken place.

It's a big place, smokey, poorly lit, the smell of beer cigarettes heavy in the air, with a faint suggestion of sweat and body odor. There are about 20 people here in total...and the travellers stick out like sore thumbs.

There are four of you. The first is a man in his mid-twenties, dressed in jeans and a T-shirt. He has long hair and a wispy beard. Obviously not worried about what the Milwood natives might think of an air of sophistication, he chews absently on a pipe. This is Jim Hollenbach.

The second is a woman, far too feminine and nicely-dressed for Milwood. She looks close to 30 years old, and is dressed rather conservatively, wearing a distinct air of professionalism. Her reddish brown hair sis houlder length, her eyes betray a look of weariness from behind a small pair of glasses. This is Joyce Minton.

The third is a young man dressed in fatigues and cargo pants. He has at least two cameras with him, and the large camera bag suggests he is a photographer by trade. This is Adam Carsen.

The fourth and final outsider is a stocky young man with thick black hair. He wears a thin pair of spectacles and is unshaven. He fiddles on a laptop computer while sipping a steaming hot cup of hot coffee, his worn and faded New Jersey Devils baseball cap tilted slightly back on his head. This is Tom Mathiessen.

The life in their faces is enough to separate these four from the 20 or so other patrons in the bar, as is their clothing--far too colorful and well-maintained for a resident of Milwood.

Even though you are not sitting together--and, indeed, didn't even enter at the same time--you cannot help but notice each other. In this wretched town, and in this gloomy pub, you feel as different as if you were walking through downtown Hong Kong, surrounded by people of an alien race and culture.

[Basically just setting the scene. You guys can start off by introducing yourselves to each other, pulling up a chair, that kind of thing. Let me know what possessions you have with you, and what you have in your rental car.]

zenld

First Post
*sits at the bar, muttering under breath*
"Well, let's hope the natives don't get restless."
*raises glass in salute* "Cheers"

[guess i am first. yippee! adam has his pack. his camera bag is in the car. he has the camera though. while waiting he will be alternately taking pictures of the bar and looking at the days pics from his digital.]

Last edited:

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Jim Hollenbach entered the pub, shaking his wet hair as though he were a
shaggy dog. Hitchhiking in the rain was the pits, and he was worried that
the rain cover on his backpack would not keep all of the rain off of his
belongings. It's not that there was very much, only a few spare clothes and
some books, but the books could be ruined if they got wet, and he'd like to
change clothes when he finally set up kip that night.

He wandered over to the bar and ordered a pint. The bartender filled his
order without enthusiasm. He folded himself into a booth in a corner,
reached into his soaked windbreaker, and pulled out his pipe. He had been
out of tobacco since yesterday, and there was nobody willing to sell him
some in his town. He chewed his pipe thoughtfully while he thumbed through
the index of one of his books. A guy at the bar held up his glass and said
"cheers," apparently to himself.

Greydt

First Post
Fighting off a shiver, Joyce takes a small sip of wine as she sits at a small table off to the side of the room. Glancing around the room, she takes notice of the others who were obviously not locals, although her face remains impassive to the scene.

Looks like I'm not the only one stuck in this hellhole.

Fishing inside one of the pockets of the overcoat resting over her lap, Joyce pulls out a packet of Dunhill Lights cigarettes and a lighter. Lighting a cigarette, she takes a small drag on it before giving a few coughs of a person who was either new or rusty to the act. Undeterred, she takes another drag of the cigarette, this time accustomed to the process.

Damn, it's going to be a pain to quit these things again...

[suitcase w/ clothes in car. Rest of possessions are carried]

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Tom grumbled to himself near-silently as he completed his report on his investigations here in Milwood. With each passing investigation that turned up nothing beyond people catching quick glimpses of deer and seeing unusually large strays, he was getting turned off to cryptozoology. I better find something soon, he thought as he sipped the rest of his coffee while waiting for the laptop to go through its shutdown phase.

As he folded the screen of his laptop down and shut the power off, he looked around him. Some other visitors to this God-forsaken hellhole were here in the pub, too. A man raised a glass at the bar in a mock salute to no one, a wet and bedraggled guy who'd just walked in had a pipe firmly planted in his mouth but wasn't smoking, and the lady in the back was smoking, but looked like it was her first time in a while.

Cowpie Zombie

First Post
As a group of ghostly, thin locals begin a game of darts in the far corner, you realise one strange thing about this pub: the patrons are either completely silent (sitting with their drinks, staring quietly at their companions) or talking in hushed whispers. It's more like a church or a museum than the loud, racuous atmosphere you've usually associated with an English pub.

Then a young man enters who stands out as obviously as the rest of you. His messy, shoulder-length hair just screams "Johnny Depp" and his torn jeans and faded green army jacket look like they'd be right at home doing graduate work at a laid-back university. He stops, looks around incredulously, then walks up to where Tom is sitting. "Good lord, I haven't seen this much inbreeding since my trip to Mississippi," he says quietly. Then looks at Tom, as if seeing him for the first time, and adds, "PLEASE tell me you're an American. Hell, I'll even settle for a Canadian."

Last edited:

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
Jim heard a strong American accent speaking from nearby and looked over to the man with the computer. He had been joined by a man who could have been Jim's classmate. He glanced at the darts players, curiously. The men played listlessly, as though they really didn't care about the outcome.

Jim loved darts. He approached the locals. "Hi there," he said. "Mind if I take a turn?"

Last edited:

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
Tom looked up from behind the rims of his glasses, and grins. "I know, this place isn't exactly the pinnacle of European civilization, is it? I'm American, yes," he says, extending his hand to the man. "Name's Tom Matthiessen. And you are?"

Last edited:

zenld

First Post
Well, the brash American stereotype lives on. turns to look at the new person. and watches as one of the few people in the pub with any sign of life tries to join the dart game.

[italics signify thought, not speech. just wanted to clarify]

Last edited:

Remove ads