• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark*Matter write-in campaign (should I bother?)

Cowpie Zombie

First Post
I just visited the old "official" Dark*Matter web page at WotC: http://www.wizards.com/darkmatter/Welcome.asp

It just made me long for more Dark*Matter and made me even less satisfied with the short (albeit very well made) "Shades of Grey" feature in Dungeon.

I'm wondering if it's actually worth it to try to get an email write-in campaign or some sort going to plead with WotC to resurrect Dark*Matter into (a) one of the settings included in the upcoming d20 Future or (b) a separate hardcover campaign setting.

Part of me is very cynical and says "Ah, they'll never listen." No doubt true. :\

Last edited:

Katowice

Explorer
If you were to draft such a petition, I'd be the first to sign it. :)

Cowpie Zombie said:
I just visited the old "official" Dark*Matter web page at WotC: http://www.wizards.com/darkmatter/Welcome.asp

It just made me long for more Dark*Matter and made me even less satisfied with the short (albeit very well made) "Shades of Grey" feature in Dungeon.

I'm wondering if it's actually worth it to try to get an email write-in campaign or some sort going to plead with WotC to resurrect Dark*Matter into (a) one of the settings included in the upcoming d20 Future or (b) a separate hardcover campaign setting.

Part of me is very cynical and says "Ah, they'll never listen." No doubt true. :\

JPL

Adventurer
We're way too late in the game to do get D*M into d20 Future, I would think.

It couldn't hurt to try. I wonder, though, if WotC would consider the whole paranormal investigation / conspiracy thing a little played out? First comparison will always be to X-Files, and X-Files is done [after overstaying its welcome, according to many].

JPL

Adventurer
We're way too late in the game to get D*M into d20 Future, I would think.

It couldn't hurt to try. I wonder, though, if WotC would consider the whole paranormal investigation / conspiracy thing a little played out? First comparison will always be to X-Files, and X-Files is done [after overstaying its welcome, according to many].

JPL

Adventurer
We're way too late in the game to get D*M into d20 Future, I would think.

It couldn't hurt to try.

I wonder, though, if WotC would consider the whole paranormal investigation / conspiracy thing a little played out? First comparison will always be to X-Files, and X-Files is done [after overstaying its welcome, according to many].

I think a big Shadow Chasers hardcover would be more in keeping with the times [Buffy, Underworld, Blade, etc.]...but I doubt that'll ever happen, just because Urban Arcana covers such similar territory.

Now, a Star*Drive setting...I could see that happening.

Me, I'm holding out for F.R.E.E.Lancers Reloaded. Ten years into the future, transhumanism / ribofunk spliced with covert ops. X-Men meets Alias.

slingbld

Explorer
Cowpie Zombie said:

Actualy, you'd be better off organizing an email/ snail mail campaign to piazo asking them to publish more info on "Shades of Grey". if they get enough feedback, they will do at least one more article, if not 2 or 3 :)

And that little petition I'd sign!! :D

Slingbld

Katowice

Explorer
I'd like to see some articles supporting the existing mini-games (well, the good ones anyhow). A recurring Dark*Matter feature would be really great.

slingbld said:
Actualy, you'd be better off organizing an email/ snail mail campaign to piazo asking them to publish more info on "Shades of Grey". if they get enough feedback, they will do at least one more article, if not 2 or 3 :)

And that little petition I'd sign!! :D

Slingbld

Von Ether

Legend
Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Dragonlance ...

The real question is do you know someone who knows HTML?

It seems that one of the surer roads to getting to see some print on a former TSR campaign is to:

1.) Put out a nice Dark*Matter fan site and then get WotC to endorse it as the "offical" fan site. Meanwhile, network with the d20 publishing community and develop a rep for being cool and professional.

2.) With WotC blessing. put out a d20 Modern D*M document on your web page.

3.) Wait for a publisher, or Dragon Magazine, to get permission to do the licence and then hopefully offer you some freelance work, or at least give you props for your efforts.

4.) Get your own copy of the book. Which should feel great after the three or four years after you got your webpage up.

Since Dark*Matter is already heavily integrated into core d20 Modern, especially in the Menace Manual book, I'm not sure I understand what more you really want to see.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
I would be great to see D*M re-printed, but WotC will probably never do it. It think slingbld has the right idea to petition Paizo. If we see any more D*M, it'll probably be from them.

Joshua Dyal said:
Since Dark*Matter is already heavily integrated into core d20 Modern, especially in the Menace Manual book, I'm not sure I understand what more you really want to see.

Well, if (hopefully) WotC proves me wrong and revives Dark*Matter for d20Modern... A proper Campaign Setting written (again) by Monte Cook and Wolf Baur if possible, (with variant rules to take some of the power out of d20M and customize it to D*M. To me, D*M was Delta Green - just without a sanity mechanic - and the Campaign Setting should reflect this.) and everything that didn't get a go-round with the Alternity version. Off the top of my head: The Hoffmann Institute Sourcebook, The Final Church (in print this time), a book on diabolists, a Threats and Conspiracies Sourcebook, and a D*M "monster manual" that includes the creaturtes from the original DMCS and the Xenoforms sourcebook that didn't make it into the d20 Menace Manual.

Remove ads