• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Messiah - Elements

Felon

First Post
Oblivion is a pretty great game. I really love the fact that NPC's have routines they maintain. People go to bed. They go out for a bite to eat. They socialize. They don't just stand around in the same spot waiting for a player to come see them. In that respect, it makes being a thief or spy type of character very entertaining.

But there's a lot of other elements that work against that type of character. What I really don't like is that opponenets are auto-leveled to (supposedly) be a match for you, but your combat ability only improves if you actually utilize your combat skills You can easily gain several levels by doing non-combat activities, and then find yourself unable to defeat fairly oridinary opponents.

In terms of equipment, if your thief wants to survive, then he winds up strapping on shiny chainmail and carrying a big steel shield. Lame.

And you wind up needing to cast spells too. Darkness is a genuine problem, so you at least need the ability to deal with darkness (torches occupy a hand slot that you need for a shield). You probably need a healing spell too, because potions are insanely expensive. From there, you can choose not to use spells for things like opeping locks and stealth, because there are skills for Security and Sneak. But honestly, think about it: you can have the Illusion skill and become invisible and create light sources and do many other wonderful things, or you can invest in Sneak which is patently inferior to invisibility and has no other uses. Which is better? Same goes for Security versus the Alteration skill.

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
I played the Dark Messiah demo. The graphics were definitely last-gen. Like Oblivion, this also looks to be another game that makes no attempt to present the choice of whether or not to use spells as a balance of give-and-take. Use spells. Spells make life easy.

Felon

First Post
ohGr said:
As for Two Worlds, it's pretty much exactly like Diablo II's, except there's really no classes; you just have a bunch of skills you can choose to invest in when you level up (you begin the game with access to some, but for the rest you'll have to find a trainer). Two-Weapon Fighting, Mounted Combat, Archery, Alchemy, Lockpicking, Stealing, Berserking, five different schools of magic, stuff like that. It's not too in-depth, but it works.
I was wondering about Two Worlds. It got bad reviews, but it really takes a lot for that kind of game to get a good review. Most reviewers don't like the fantasy genre, and they don't like the slow pace of a massive RPG.

So, how about the various anti-thief issues I mentioned with Oblivion? Is that stuff present here? Do thief-type characters get interesting, non-killing missions?

ohGr

First Post
Not that i've found, but then again, i'm not playing a thief-type. (Aside from maxing the Lockpicking skill, that is. But the fact that every freakin' container/treasure chest in the game is locked might have something to do with that. :mad: ) Most quests are of the fetch quest and killing variety.

As for the importance magic, Two Worlds is pretty much the exact opposite of Oblivion; while support magic is useful, attack magic is practically worthless. For example, my character's Fireball spell, which is at a relatively respectable lvl 23, deals 1020 damage. His sword, however, deals 2241-2930 slashing damage and 3270 cold; factoring in Strength, he deals over 15K damage per hit. The Strength of God spell increases that by ~50%, and Berserking quadruples it. If that sounds outrageous, it's not; he needs to do that much damage per hit to take down larger enemies. So i can't even imagine how a dedicated mage could survive.

As for the various enemies, there does appear to be a small amount of parallel-leveling, but most creatures max out at some point and it's nowhere near as bad as Oblivion.

Talislan

First Post
Hmmm... seen some preview/reviews on places like Gamespot. Not looking encouraging on the Dark Messiah front.

Now, Fallout 3...........

Better make that a new thread later :cool:

Felon

First Post
Talislan said:
Hmmm... seen some preview/reviews on places like Gamespot. Not looking encouraging on the Dark Messiah front.

Now, Fallout 3...........

Better make that a new thread later :cool:
Like I said, reviewers are brutal on fantasy RPG's.

Fallout 3 is, unfortunately, so far away from the horizon that it's scarcely worth a thought.

Not much to look forward to in the immediate future, really.

Remove ads