• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Revelations : Armageddon d20 game

cybernetic

Explorer
I am in th process of writing a new d20 game....its called Dark Revelations and is set on our world. I'm going to stick more to a fantasy d20 approach to a to a Dark Modern setting as apposed to the way d20 Modern and Shadow Chasers is doing modern stuff.... basically the setting envolves a Grand Divine war between Heaven and Hell that has poured into earth....and both places are slowing becoming one with the world....also there is another realm outside of our own called the Lands of Nod (similar to the ethereal and/or shadow planes)....

Character Races will include:

Mortal Races:
- Humans ----> Mundane Lineage
- Aasimar ----> Celestial Lineage
- Kinder ------> Vampiric Lineage
- Tiefling -----> Fiendish Lineage

Angelic Races:
- Angels
- Fallen Angels

Nephilim Houses:
- House Ahriman ----> The Arcane
- House Drakis ------> The "Kings"
- House Erapis ------> The Divine
- House Nimerix -----> The Stealthy
- House Paramour --> The Charismatic
- House Taralim -----> The Warriors
- House Zagalo -----> The Guardians

Basically the Angels(Celestials) rule Heaven...The Daemons (Fiends) rule Hell, The Nephilim rule the Lands of Nod and the Humans Rule Earth....and as this Age is coming to an end...All four realms are starting to collide and meld into one.....

...essentially the angels were created before time....the daemons are fallen angels...the humans are descendant from Seth (3rd son of adam and eve)...the Nephilim are descendant from Cain (1st son of adam and eve....) after he was banished to the Lands of Nod...

...As far as cosmology would go it would naturally be heaven is above and hell is below with each having its own layers....and then Earth (aka Eden) would be in middle with the Lands of Nod surrounding it and acting as a gateway to earth for heaven and hell........

My plan is fully develop the setting and release books in pdf format ....I plan on making the setting a free one as well...

any opinions, ideas, feedback would be greatly appreciated...

Last edited:

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Sounds neat, but you may want to hold off on putting a lot of work into it. There have been rumors of White Wolf making WoD d20 products. I have absolutely no idea how credible they are, but I'd be more than willing to let somebody else do the heavy lifting for me.

cybernetic

Explorer
Greatwyrm said:
Sounds neat, but you may want to hold off on putting a lot of work into it. There have been rumors of White Wolf making WoD d20 products. I have absolutely no idea how credible they are, but I'd be more than willing to let somebody else do the heavy lifting for me.

Actually I'm writing this because I'd rather not use the approach White Wolf has......I used to play the World of Darkness games a lot.....but the one i'm writing isn't going to be along the lines of what they have.....I going for more of a Angel/Demon war on earth as the end times are nearing.....with the realms of heaven, hell, and earth are starting to come together.....in DR vampires are no longer just another form of undead but a divine creature that comes from the realms of Nod, a gateway plabe similar to the plane of shadow, that binds hell and heaven to earth....

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
This sounds very interesting. Sounds like stuff I've been tossing around in my mind. I never got around to detailing everything out. I'll be looking forward to seeing this.

Now do you plan to use the Standard D&D classes or come up with new ones? HP or VP/WP type system?

cybernetic

Explorer
Psychotic Dreamer said:
Now do you plan to use the Standard D&D classes

I'm gonna try to stick with the core classes as presented in the PHB and SRD...albeit with minor adj. and new background info for the more modern setting.....In my opinion, they do a good job of actually seperating characters into basic archtypes.....and since I'm going for a more Modern Fantasy setting as opposed to more realistic modern setting....and the core classes fit perfectly with that

Psychotic Dreamer said:
or come up with new ones? HP or VP/WP type system?

Its kinda a hard decision as to which I want to use....because personally I prefer the VP/WP system..but a lot of people prefer the more standard HP method (as far as I can tell at least) so I'll probably go with that one....but the VP/WP system does work better with modern type settings.... An opinion on which one you would prefer??

How about having a variation of the VP/WP system as the default system and then have a Appendix in the book dedicated to listing everything for use in a standard HP system as an option for those who prefer the HP..(so they don't have to do an extra work to use the material)??

In the end I'm thinking I might actually try to stick more with the straight HP method....iot works very well for Fantasy settings...and I'm gearing my game more towards a Modern Fantasy setting as opposed to a realistic modern setting...

Last edited:

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
Personally I would use the VP/WP system. As you said it works nicely for modern games. Also it can make things a bit more deadly when criticals come into play. Since usually a critical goes directly against the WP rather than the VP.

cybernetic

Explorer
I've decided to go with VP/WP.......and I had already decided to go with the Defense instead of AC method anywayz....I don't think armor will play a big role in Dark Revelations..or any modern like game....

I'm definatly going to stick with the core classes....but I'll re-write them to mesh with my setting a little more.....there will be two "worlds" to explore as well....Eden (aka Earth) is pretty much a version of our world in the very near future...with portions of hell starting to manifest across the world....and then the Realms of Nod which are a dark reflection of Eden...but with a more Dark Ages/Gothic feel to them...

Rollo Le Brun

First Post
How are you approaching magic use? I'm kinda doing something similar to you as secondary dm to spice up the home campaign. I'm going along the lines of dreams/demensional rift/ universal evil. I am planing on using a very stripped down version WoT channeling. The reason for this is that I'm sorta ripping the PCs out of a DnD setting and thrusting them into an alternate reality where they are quasi themselves but with no indication as to which is dream, DnD or Alternate reality. Three of the PCs are spell capable and I want them to retain a vestige of their DnD power yet be unable to realize their full potential without alot of hard work.

Remove ads