• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Sun miniatures solutions

opteryx

Explorer
Dark Sun is a great setting, but there seems to be pretty limited support for miniatures. Here's a sample of my solution: card stock miniatures. I literally have 100's of these (with pennies taped to the base for weight/support).

They do the job fairly well, T, S, and M size creatures all get the same size counter (1x1.5"), L size are 2x3". I haven't done any larger creatures yet.

I've tried to find "Dark Sun-ish" characters as best I can. Luckily, I'm a graphic designer, so I'm pretty proficient with Photoshop, and a D&D Insider subscriber, so I have access to all the art. Some took a bit of work (removing the rock that the silk wyrm was wrapped around comes to mind!). I also alter some of them for variation, such as the tarek. I just have the same image from the DS Creature Catalogue repeated, with different coloured garments on them.

Just wondering what other people have been doing to flesh out their Dark Sun tabletops?

Oryan77

Adventurer
I've tried to find "Dark Sun-ish" characters as best I can.

Grab a bunch of images from the old 2e Dark Sun books. Brom did a lot of the artwork and he's the best artist that ever lived (nobody even needs to dispute this, you'll just embarrass yourself). Look up some Brom galleries and you will find all kinds of illustrations that can be used for DS characters even though they were not created for DS.

opteryx

Explorer
Most of them are. I just take everything I can find off the internet. As I said, I have a D&DI account, so that's a huge resource.

frankthedm

First Post
While its getting harder to find, for Borys of Ebe Dragon of Tyr: McFarlane's Dragons series 4 sorcerer clan dragon is a nice fit.

borysofebesa5.jpg

The brown repaint of Spawn Dark Ages: The Horrid is not too bad either, but that might be harder to find.

v0095c00027039.jpg

Rhun

First Post
I haven't played Dark Sun in many, many years. But I applaud your effort. Looks like you put a lot of work into your game!

opteryx

Explorer
Thanks, I do! Because I'm a graphic designer and illustrator, I always try to have a very visually strong experience for my players. I illustrate weathered/stained maps for the players, draw out inked maps on poster size graph paper, and custom print dungeon floor tiles. It is alot of "DM homework".

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads