D&D General Dark Sun Nostalgia Thread [+]

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Eh. Not that you are wrong. But you are really only talking about less than 0.1% of the 5E fan base. Sure, they will make a stink in their small communities, but it wont significantly affect 95% of the current 5E fans/customers. Because most just don't follow the little spats on the internet They have other things to keep them busy.

Now, back to fun stuff! More artwork please :)
any request in particular?

any request in particular?
My exposure was so tenuous most of it is new to me. I did really appreciate the color image posted before of Sadira? with the town and party? Individual black and white sketches not so much. But things that give the flavor of DS. Maybe a sorcerer king or something around defiling?

jgsugden

Legend
2 Distinct early experiences:

BAD: I played in one game where they used the published modules. It was a bad experience. Those adventures are the epitome of railroad DMing, and the DM flat out told us not to make certain decisions, to do certain things, or to even say certain things because they dd not fit in what the module allows. It dragged on and essentially was just the Pcs being playthings for the DM to play with himself.

GREAT: One of those players started their own game and elected to start us (a combination of players from the first game and other players) out in Freedom, but then quickly knocked our socks off by upsetting the apple cart and going in a very different direction. My PC died recovering a relic of ancient days and my replacement PC was a (former) cleric that had been turned to stone long ago that the PCs rescued during that adventure. I spent the campaign trying to "fix" Athas as a powerless cleric (fighter). The camapign ended in a bad, bad, bad, bad high level TPK (kind of my fault, too) where there was essentially no way to recover the setting, much less the PCs. Another group of PCs in a Greyhawk game, many years later, recovered a magic Tome of Prophecies and read how the world will end - and the DM used that opportunity to tell us how the Athas game was the future of that Greyhawk game, and what happened after the PCs lost that battle. It was brutal... but it gave us closure on a great campaign. It is one of my favorite PCs, favorite games, and favorite experiences - and we did most of it one summer during college.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
1639769484914.png

no idea what this is but it said darksun in the search bar.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Then tell us about it! I'd like to hear everyone's stories of how they enjoyed the Dark Sun campaign setting, what they thought of it, and whether or not they are still playing it more than 30 years later.
Junior high/middle school, remember seeing this beauty on the shelves at the Waldenbooks in the mall and my local book store. Saved up allowance to get it. Fell in love. It flipped everything about D&D on its head.

30 years later, very clear D&D wasn't going to put out boxes like this. Painstakingly scoured the internet and compared notes to come up with a conversion that felt closest to the original. Printed color copies for my gamers. Ran A Little Knowledge, Freedom, and some homebrew for a group that had never played DS or prior editions of D&D. They loved it, some even created home-made terrain and customized minis for our adventures on Athas.

Remove ads