• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Darkest Dungeon inspired game

OniDaimyo

Villager
I want to take some of the theme of darkest dungeon and use it in a game, not so much the no hope you are screwed attitutude but definitely the horror, eldritch creatures and dark secrets. However I don't want a dungeon crawl only. I want to have RP and other things worked in. I'd rather it be a whole city is like that. The noble houses have dark secrets, few people are truly good, social status matters and there is some magical tech, much like Eberron but only the wealthy can afford it while the poor toil in factories and live in slums or worse. So looking for ideas on how to enforce varius aspects. Like a obviously poor person would probably have disadvantage trying to get a richer person to do much of anything unless its intimidate. Likewise a rich person better watch themselves in poorer parts of town.

Darkest Dungeon takes its inspiration from Call of Cthulhu/Lovecraft, so why not look at that for inspiration? Especially when it comes to sanity systems, you could probably copy that straight into the 5th edition rules. The rest is just set dressing and story telling really.

ccs

41st lv DM
I wanted also ask, is Curse of Strahd worth it? Does it give good ideas for the rest of Ravenloft or horror games?

Worth it, for the extended adventure it is? Yes.
Worth it for a look at the "rest" of Ravenloft (I assume you're refering to the 2e/3x campaign setting) or horror games in general? No, & no.

Prickly

First Post
You could look at Freeport and Warhammer fantasy to get inspiration to match the aesthetic.

Shadow of the demon lord also has a similar tone.

Satyrn

First Post
I wanted also ask, is Curse of Strahd worth it? Does it give good ideas for the rest of Ravenloft or horror games?

If you're looking for ideas, Call of Cthulhu stuff, as mentioned would work. Also the 2nd and 3rd edition D&D Ravenloft stuff will help, too.

g4m3kn1ght

First Post
Adventures in Middle Earth has a great corruption system that would jive well with darkest dungeon and has a 5e conversion. Almost all treasure and loot has a chance of being tainted in that game, to the point where my character tended to pick things up with at least two layers of PPE.

Remove ads