• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Darkness and the Black Dragon - Need advice

Dr_Sage

First Post
Good afternoon fellows!

I was preparing a session and I have some questions about darkness powers. Our heroes should face their first dragon soom and my party will be around 4th level, been composed by:

- Eladrin Wizard (Wand/Illusion mixed);
- Human Cleric (Healer/Avandra);
- Human Rogue (B Scroundel);
- Dragonborn Paladin (Protec);
- Human Invoker (Ioun);
- Dwarf Ranger (2-weapon).

1) Darkness fits the theme perfectly, but the advantages of a monster that can see in his own darkness effectivelly gives him permanent combat advantage against melee characters, and +5 in all defenses againt ranged attacks. This puts his defenses almost in paragon level.

I know they can simple run away and they will, but they probably will have to fight to escape the fell lurker. They will have something the dragon wants desperately.:devil:

I am usually ok with forcing the PCs to retreat, but I am afraid the encounter would be boring for half my party (specially the ranger and the paladin). We all wanna have fun right?

So I ask: Is there a way the PCs can counter the darkness zone? Maybe a magic item, spell, ritual whatever that a NPC can grant them?

2) Can the dragon recharge a power in the same round it sustains it? It seems technicaly ok, but jeez...:-S permanent unpenetrable darkness all the way.

Thanks in advance!

Mort_Q

First Post
WotC Items
  • Unguent of Blindsight (AV) is easiest... it's epic level, but it's a consumable... you only need enough for the melee monkeys.
  • Grimlock Helm (AV)... or something that only works in a dragon's Cloud of Darkness... work in into the story.
  • Eyes of the Dragon (Dragon 365)

Dr_Sage

First Post
Hummm thanks for the answer.

These items are too high for the momment, but they are options. I will use them if I have no other choice, changing the monster is another.

I am curious: am I the only one to notice this problem?:erm: How have you fellows handled this?

Turtlejay

First Post
We fought a black dragon. It was in a cave, so the terrain may have effected our results, but it did not end up being the horrible thing you seem afraid of. It tried to hide in the dark, and the warlord and others with battlefield control kept pushing it's flank out. I think with smart tactics, this fight can be difficult but fun, instead of the deadly and horrid that you may think from just looking at the stat block.

Jay

Klaus

First Post
Here are some options:

1 - Daze the dragon, or make it lose actions otherwise. When it has to choose between sustaining the drakness or clawing the fighter, any dragon worth his scales will choose the attack.

2 - Close and Area attacks don't suffer a penalty from concealment. Pick a segment and attack away.

3 - Bull rush the dragon out of the area.

4 - When the chips are down (i.e., when the dragon is bloodied), it's perfectly ok for it to use less-than-optimal tactics, like entering a rage and clawing/biting away at foes. If it falls to 25% of its total hp (i.e., half bloodied), the dragon can (and should) use darkness to cover its escape.

FireLance

Legend
I think you've identified the key reason why I don't like to use black dragons.

My suggestion is to come up with a workaround yourself, perhaps one or both of the following:

1. An arcane ritual that allows the characters to partially see through the darkness created by the black dragon. This requires a body part (scales, blood, acid, etc.) from the dragon (which may require the characters to wound the dragon and/or go to a specific location to retrieve it) and four successful DC 16 + 1/2 dragon's level Arcana checks (DC 18 for a level 4 dragon) made as minor actions before three failures. If the ritual is successfully completed, the dragon's darkness only provides it with concealment against the PCs.

2. A divine ritual that allows the characters to partially dispel the dragon's darkness with radiant attacks. This requires four successful DC 16 + 1/2 dragon's level Religion checks (DC 18 for a level 4 dragon) made as minor actions before three failures. If the ritual is successfully completed, a radiant attack from any of the PCs made against an enemy or an empty square in the dragon's darkness causes the darkness to only provide concealment until the end of the attacker's next turn.

Thanee

First Post
Heh. We fought a black dragon with that annoying darkness zone last week, and to top it all off, the fight was in an area with cliffs and a river where the dragon could hover out of melee reach with ease. The dwarf fighter, dwarf paladin and dragonborn warlord had a tough time doing much there, while the elf cleric (moi) and elf ranger at least managed to fight back decently. At least we had the better ranged attacks, so we could force the dragon to come to us, where the meleers could also attack.

I think there is actually a feat to counteract concealment with radiant powers in Divine Power, but if the cleric does not have it by chance, that won't help much, of course.

Bye
Thanee

Mesh Hong

First Post
I think you've identified the key reason why I don't like to use black dragons.

My suggestion is to come up with a workaround yourself, perhaps one or both of the following:

1. An arcane ritual that allows the characters to partially see through the darkness created by the black dragon. This requires a body part (scales, blood, acid, etc.) from the dragon (which may require the characters to wound the dragon and/or go to a specific location to retrieve it) and four successful DC 16 + 1/2 dragon's level Arcana checks (DC 18 for a level 4 dragon) made as minor actions before three failures. If the ritual is successfully completed, the dragon's darkness only provides it with concealment against the PCs.

2. A divine ritual that allows the characters to partially dispel the dragon's darkness with radiant attacks. This requires four successful DC 16 + 1/2 dragon's level Religion checks (DC 18 for a level 4 dragon) made as minor actions before three failures. If the ritual is successfully completed, a radiant attack from any of the PCs made against an enemy or an empty square in the dragon's darkness causes the darkness to only provide concealment until the end of the attacker's next turn.

This is pretty much what I was going to suggest, I might do it slightly differently.

Step 1: Once in combat, unless they have spent time before hand researching a solution to the problem. Every turn (until success) each PC with the Arcana or Religion skill makes a DC20 Arcana or Religion check as a free action. On success they realise they can use the dragons blood to counteract its darkness ability for a short while.

Step 2: They need a sample of the dragons blood. A PC who has hit the dragon with a melee attack must be standing adjacent to the caster and either may spend a minor action to wipe some on the casters hand. (for simplicities sake no more blood can be taken from that weapon until it hits the dragon again)

Step 3: In combat skill challange. DC18 Arcana or Religion check as a move action, 3 successes required before 3 failures; on the third success the sample of blood is expended and 1 ally within 5 squares can see through the dragons darkness (in the same way the dragon can) for 1d4+2 rounds, on failure the sample of dragons blood is wasted.

Variants:
1: You could give an added bonus explained through the empowering effect of the dragons blood where any character under the influence of the ritual also gains a +1 bonus to hit the dragon with all attacks.

2: You could remove the 1d4+2 rounds duration and change it to until the end of the encounter, but I would not recommend this as it may be more exciting to have a 3 to 6 round window of opportunity before needing the ritual refreshed. Saying that 6 rounds is quite a long time.

Dr_Sage

First Post
Here are some options:

1 - Daze the dragon, or make it lose actions otherwise. When it has to choose between sustaining the drakness or clawing the fighter, any dragon worth his scales will choose the attack.

2 - Close and Area attacks don't suffer a penalty from concealment. Pick a segment and attack away.

3 - Bull rush the dragon out of the area.

4 - When the chips are down (i.e., when the dragon is bloodied), it's perfectly ok for it to use less-than-optimal tactics, like entering a rage and clawing/biting away at foes. If it falls to 25% of its total hp (i.e., half bloodied), the dragon can (and should) use darkness to cover its escape.

Thanks Claudio, but the dragon defenses goes up to the 25+ range, effectivelly meaning the characters have to roll in the 18-20 range to have a chance to produce such effects for a round of so.

I fully agree about the close/area attacks but the combat would be boring for more tham half the party. Problem persists.

I also agree with your suggestions regarding the 50%/25% HP changes in behaviour.

Dr_Sage

First Post
To all that suggested rituals and so: great idea and fits the theme.

Even if it's a temporary effect.

I have aways enjoyed the presence of ritual magic in the fiction movies/books (The Mummy comes to my mind), but DnD in previous editions was not the best system to use this story elemment.

Actually its one of the main reasons why I have played HARP for 3 years, instead of DnD 3.X. Its a system where ritual magic is easly introduced as a story elemment.

Thanks to all and if someone have more ideas pls fell free. ;)

Remove ads