• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Darkness Domain for Clerics

Jimbro

Explorer
So I'm doing a little worldbuilding for my next campaign world where dwarves and tieflings have been locked underground together for decades. It got me thinking about how they might pray to a deity of darkness for protection and what else a deity like that would have to offer. The darkness domain could be about keeping secrets concealed and surviving the night. I did a write up about it here and posted the mechanical bits below. Let me know what you all think. This forum has been great with helping me tweak ideas so thank you all so much for that.

https://worldbuilderblog.me/2017/01/12/darkness-a-new-cleric-domain/

[h=4]Darkness Domain[/h]The Darkness domain focuses on what is hidden, both physically and within one's soul. Followers of darkness gods depend on these deities to keep secrets concealed and loved ones safe in the darkness. These are powers many pray to just before they go to sleep so that they might wake again. Subterranean cultures in particular hold this domain in high regard, since they live in darkness. The gods of this domain are often depicted as hooded or concealed figures that sometimes lack form. Some of the gods are referred to as gods of night, dark magic, or secrets.

[h=6]Darkness Domain Spells[/h]
Cleric LevelSpells
1stsanctuary, sleep
3rddarkness, darkvision
5thfear, nondetection
7thblack tentacles, phantasmal killer
9thdream, mislead

[h=6]Bonus Proficiency[/h]When you choose this domain at 1st level, you gain proficiency with heavy armor.

[h=6]Favor in Darkness[/h]Also starting at 1st level, you gain blindsight to a range of 15 feet.

[h=6]Channel Divinity: Clinging Darkness[/h]Starting at 2nd level, you hurl a shadow at one creature you can see within 30 feet of you as an action. That creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or become fully bound in the shadow for 1 minute. While bound in the shadow the creature is blinded and restrained. It can repeat the saving throw each time it takes damage, or on its turn as an action, ending the blinded and restrained conditions on a success.

[h=6]Superior Favor in Darkness[/h]Starting at 6th level, your blindsight increases to a range of 30 feet.

[h=6]Divine Strike[/h]At 8th level, you gain the ability to infuse your weapon strikes with divine energy. Once on each of your turns when you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can cause the attack to deal an extra 1d8 cold or necrotic damage (your choice) to the target. When you reach 14th level, the extra damage increases to 2d8.

[h=6]Darkness Savant[/h]At 17th level, your blindsight increases to a range of 60 feet. In addition, targets of your clinging darkness take 4d6 cold damage and 4d6 necrotic damage when they first become bound in the shadow by failing a Constitution saving throw. This damage does not allow them to repeat their saving throws.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
That's pretty cool.

Why heavy armor though? I'm thinking Martial Weapon proficiency would fit them better.

EDIT
Also, with Blindsight 15 ft., I wouldn't think they really need the Darkvision spell.
Something like misty step might fit better, and in combination with darkness would be rather effective given the fact this domain gets blindsight..

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
No one particular thing, but each little bit just seems really good. I think blindsight is very useful (and otherwise pretty hard to get), clinging darkness is potent and has no restrictions on target types, divine strike gives a choice of damage types, and darkness savant seems very solid. I wouldn't say any one of those is necessarily too strong for a subclass ability, but I don't think any of the other subclasses have all their abilities that solid.

Taronkov

Explorer
Only thing I'm looking at changing is heavy armor proficiency with martial weapons like Bitbrain said. I think of darkness as subtle and sneaky and heavy armor just isn't. Otherwise I like it and fully intend to add it (with Credit of course) into my homebrew rules.

Overall it's a great idea conceptually. However, it comes with a few issues.

First and foremost. The blindsight, while a fitting concept, is WAY too powerful. Rogues get blindsight for 10ft...at level 14. And it's their only ability for that level. You just gave this cleric better at level 1.

To say nothing of how that would make everyone want to splash one level of this domain cleric to gain it. A very common thing people do is take two levels of warlock just to get the ability to see in magical darkness for various builds (and bindsight is arguably better than that, and it applies to invisible and concealed enemies as well.

My suggestion is to make the 1st level ability grant 60ft darkvision, or 120ft for those races who already have darkvision.

I would move move the blindsense to make the 17th level ability, and make it 10ft. The cleric gets it after the rogue in this case, but also gets the damage bonuses you listed for for the shadow ability tacked on. Also, the complete prevention of subsequent saving throws after the first failed one for an ability which so cripples a target seems a tad odd for 5th edition though. Making them have disadvantage on the subsequent saves to escape, or take the damage ever round while bound may be a more typical mechanic.

You also should consider going with either cold color necrotic damage for their divine strike. A choice is fine if you wish it, but the only domain that that does that does that is nature, and most of its other abilities are defensive to compensate.

For the level 6 ability, I would consider either making a new ability, or perhaps going a weaker version of the 17th. Perhaps give the cleric see in magical darkness at 6th and maybe 2d6 cold and 2d6 necrotic damage once upon the initial binding? Or even the full 4d6 damage if you go the damage every round route for 17th level?

Most other "shadowy" builds typically are about seeing through magical darkness as a trick, so it would be fitting to see it here. You could consider that being their first level perk, but then again you'd have a lot of potential splash abuse.

Another thing to consider as opposed to weapons or armor for level 1: stealth proficiency. A cleric of darkness should be sneaky! Though one skill proficiency is kind of weak. Maybe give them stealth and deception? Expertise in stealth? Or stealth and a cantrip that fits?

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
You can also check out articles on Shar from FR on ideas for specialty priest spells and powers. They have making darkness like drow and creating continual darkness, opposite continual light.

Remove ads