• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Darksun Teasers

Tervin

First Post
Grey or black? When I am logged in the text is black, otherwise grey. Weird but true.

And of course I am yet another of those rare people who like 4E and have Dark Sun as a favourite D&D setting. What I really really hope is that they don't start explaining too much in this new version. When I read the contents of the first Dark Sun box what I fell in love with was, more than the edgier races and the darker feel, the fact that there were so many mysteries left. So many open ends, so many rumours and so few unnecessary facts.

I do not want a complete map of Athas. I do not want a written history. I want lots and lots of rumours and stories that nobody really knows what to make of. A world that knows that it must have an amazing history, but where it has almost all got lost. A world that is partly mapped, but where noone knows what actually exists on the other side of the silt sea or the huge mountain range.

I don't want any strict rules as to which races can exist in the world, but I want help to reimagine races so that they fit.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Grey or black? When I am logged in the text is black, otherwise grey. Weird but true.

Yep. That's it. I get the same results. Well done.

I wonder what other things are slightly different if you are/aren't logged in to the site.

In before "WotC doesn't want non-subscribers to read their site."

Thaumaturge.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Yep. That's it. I get the same results. Well done.

I wonder what other things are slightly different if you are/aren't logged in to the site.

In before "WotC doesn't want non-subscribers to read their site."

Thaumaturge.

It's less suspicious then it is just plain weird. Still vaguely suspicious, mind you ;p

Regarding Dark Sun:

Sorry if you feel I'm wrong regarding the "people not knowing about the old one." I, well, disagree. Yes, a lot of weird and somewhat crappy stuff started to pop up in Dark Sun, but because it was so poorly received, it never stole the thunder from the original. The new one, I guarantee, no matter how good or bad it might turn out, will. I feel my fear is legit.

There are, I feel, four reasons people are hanging on the every word. You can mix and match these reasons as you choose :p

1) My reason above. New version is very different, replaces old version. Like the old version? You're out of luck.

2) They feel an ownership in part of the setting and don't want to see whatever degree of changes they don't want to see. Maybe they don't want to see any changes at all. Maybe they just don't want big changes.

3) They aren't convinced WotC can make a good setting yet. I know a few 4e fans that think the game mechanics are the best they've ever been, but visually cringe at WotC's writing staff.

4) They hate 4e and everything associated with 4e.

I can't wait to see which one's I'm put into...!

Wik

First Post
Sorry if you feel I'm wrong regarding the "people not knowing about the old one." I, well, disagree. Yes, a lot of weird and somewhat crappy stuff started to pop up in Dark Sun, but because it was so poorly received, it never stole the thunder from the original. The new one, I guarantee, no matter how good or bad it might turn out, will. I feel my fear is legit.

See, I still disagree there. How many times, on this thread alone, have people mentioned stuff from the revised setting as part of their core assumptions of Dark Sun? These are people that, let's face it, are pretty hardcore D&D people.

In other words, there's been a split in which "edition" of Dark Sun people are familiar with for over a decade. One new edition isn't going to hurt anything - in fact, it will be better for the setting, because it will get people playing Dark Sun again.

This isn't FR, which has a huge fan base. Changing FR was a bad idea, I think (though, actually, I prefer the new FR... but I was never an FR fan, so I don't think my opinion counts). Changes to Dark Sun should bring in new Dark Sun fans.

And they're not going to make huge, drastic changes. They'll make minor changes, for sure. Odds are, we'll see a few new races. And some new locations on the map, some new monsters, and new slave tribes, etc.

For people new to the setting, they won't know those things are "new". And when you play Dark SUn with them, you'll probably have to sigh a bit, and simply state "that's not the way it always was". But, I think that's a very small price to pay to suddenly have a huge influx of Dark Sun players (and Dark Sun campaigns!) to choose from.

As for me, I already have a list of changes I'll make to the rules when it comes out, because I know they won't make a game that perfectly caters to my idea of how DS should be run. I don't mind cutting info from the books in my campaign.

Personally, I think my big worry is that the core Dark Sun adventure will be too generic and bland, and will suck (because they want their adventures to be as usable as possible, which is a good goal for WotC). Of course, I'll buy it anyway. :)

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
Where is your "They like the old Dark Sun and are excited about the new Dark Sun" option?

I choose option 5.
I choose option 6: Don't know much about Dark Sun except for a very brief read through and other's comments and am excited to see a Dark Sun for 4e. Or I guess with more brevity:

Option 6: Don't know Dark Sun, think it sounds interesting and excited about a 4e Dark Sun.

Wik said:
For people new to the setting, they won't know those things are "new". And when you play Dark SUn with them, you'll probably have to sigh a bit, and simply state "that's not the way it always was". But, I think that's a very small price to pay to suddenly have a huge influx of Dark Sun players (and Dark Sun campaigns!) to choose from.
When I gamed with these people or I'm one of them, I often think "well, then. I guess there's some mystery back in the setting then." I like when there a little change ups in settings (Greyhawk to From the Ashes Greyhawk, for example. Though I think I'm one of the few on the planet! :p ). It makes me pay more attention to what is going on so I can spot that stuff.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
And of course I am yet another of those rare people who like 4E and have Dark Sun as a favourite D&D setting.
Rare like hydrogen.

What I really really hope is that they don't start explaining too much in this new version. When I read the contents of the first Dark Sun box what I fell in love with was, more than the edgier races and the darker feel, the fact that there were so many mysteries left.
I like your vision, and hope WotC subscribes as well.

Cheers, -- N

Wik

First Post
I choose option 6: Don't know much about Dark Sun except for a very brief read through and other's comments and am excited to see a Dark Sun for 4e. Or I guess with more brevity:

Option 6: Don't know Dark Sun, think it sounds interesting and excited about a 4e Dark Sun.

You'll love it. I've yet to find a player who doesn't like Dark Sun. I think every player I've ever had will count Dark Sun among their top three campaign settings/RPGs out there. I have several players from years ago who will not play AD&D unless it's in Dark Sun.

Suggestion, though: Pick up the original Boxed Set PDF. There's a lot of good stuff in there, and it will give you a point of comparison when the 4e book comes out, and the inevitable flame wars start.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads