• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Darksun times of change[Oc]closed]

Aramalian

Explorer
I really don't want to get into an argument (at all, and certainly not here) but I'm honestly curious:

I just went back and read your PHB 183 and I'm just not seeing any of what you're talking about. I'm really curious as to where you're getting any of it. Dim light causes light obscurement, light obscurement gives you disadvantage on perception checks that rely on sight (and only that). Darkvision turns Darkness into dim light, and dim light into bright light within it's radius. That's all it says. I'm not sure where you get disadvantage on attacks in dim light, or having to make perception checks against enemies or you treat them like they are in darkness.
Simply put: if you want to target something in dim light, I believe you have to make a WIS (Perception) check. If you fail that check, you can't see it.

Otherwise, darkvision is way too powerful.

Sent via EN World mobile app

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Simply put: if you want to target something in dim light, I believe you have to make a WIS (Perception) check. If you fail that check, you can't see it. Otherwise, darkvision is way too powerful.

Okay. I've never heard of that, nor do I see it anywhere in the rules. But I accept that you feel that way! :)

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Yeah, that is nowhere in the rules. It may be your house rule, but it isn't RAW. Disadvantage on Perception checks only, and no requirement for perception checks to target. Limited range is the biggest drawback aside from the Perception disadvantage. I don't think it's overpowered. After all, why wouldn't races like dwarves and drow have evolved some type of ability like that given the nature of their environment? In any case, it means little since we have humans in the party. We'll have torches.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

Azurewraith

Explorer
I cut DV for a few reasons Mainly it ruins the idea of creeping round ancient halls with a flickering torch light. It also ruins the trade off between light and stealth and finally no races live underground in Athas, some burrowing creatures may have it.

On another note I'm starting on Monday as soon as I wake up anyone not in the RG will be thrown in later. I should be able to squeeze everyone into one game.

A couple of things about my PBP style now I think I have developed one. I will gloss over scenes I don't think are important want more info just ask, when it comes to votes on what to do etc, ill take a majority even if everyone hasn't voted and combat will be run as a group ini those before the monster, the monster and those after the monster.

Remove ads