D&D 5E Darksun times of change[Oc]closed]

Shayuri

First Post
Re: Overland travel- Honestly, even in non PBP I find this sort of thing is often kind of pointless. It generally boils down to 'everyone make a skill roll to see what happens,' and everything past that is kind of just flavor text? Most of the time in games I've played GMs tend to describe the situation, have people do the group check, and abstract the results.

So in this case, the crisis, "Oh no, you lost your wagon. Everyone make a skill check and describe what you're doing to try to deal with this."

And we make our relevant checks. And based on the results, you'd work out the consequences, which could range from having to go on foot with all the goods left behind...to successfully rigging up a replacement 'wagon' and getting all our goods along with us.

That typically keeps things moving. :)

Azurewraith

Explorer
The only other time I have ran overland travel in any real sense was during a hex crawl, so it was the adventure worked out great. I guess in non hex format can be a bit of a dud.

GreenKarl

First Post
I cool with continuing however you want to go. I think if the overall travel is part of the story (hexcrawl, exploring and mapping out the area, etc.) it can be ok, but yes a bit frustrating also.

Aramalian

Explorer
OOC: I do feel the frustration and the lag that comes from trying to do this Overland travel bit, however it is at the heart of the Dark Sun setting... this kind of resource management... difficult travel business.

That being said it can also be streamlined via narrative if we trust the dungeon master to make appropriate choices about what happened during the trip, and not get upset because he seems to be picking on one of us more than the other if one of us suffers more than the others during a travel narrative.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using EN World mobile app

FitzTheRuke

Legend
A few checks with some not-ruinous drawbacks for bad rolls and some not-extreme benefits for good rolls (and a bunch of immersive fluff) usually does it for me.

Unless the adventure IS the journey, I'm ready to move on, but I'm fine with struggling our way across the desert, too.

Remove ads