• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Darkvision + Arcane Eye?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
If you cast Darkvision on yourself (Or any vision enhancing spells, like True Sight), than use Arcane Eye, or any distance-seeing spell, can the vision enhancing spell carry over into the distance seeing spell?

Darkvision + Arcane Eye = seeing clearly into that lightless cave?

Ranger19k

Explorer
Boy, I hope it does - I've used it that way numerous times.

For rules purposes, if you look at the clairvoyance spell it says: "Unlike other scrying spells, this spell does not allow magically or supernaturally enhanced senses to work
through it." Arcane Eye is higher level and doesn't say anything similar, so I always assume that enhanced vision is a go.

Jack Simth

First Post
If you cast Darkvision on yourself (Or any vision enhancing spells, like True Sight), than use Arcane Eye, or any distance-seeing spell, can the vision enhancing spell carry over into the distance seeing spell?

Darkvision + Arcane Eye = seeing clearly into that lightless cave?

Depends on the specific spell. In general, The Divination(Scrying) subschool says yes:
SRD said:
Unless noted otherwise, the sensor has the same powers of sensory acuity that you possess. This level of acuity includes any spells or effects that target you, but not spells or effects that emanate from you.

However, certain spells, such as Clairaudience/Clairvoyance specify
SRD said:
this spell does not allow magically or supernaturally enhanced senses to work through it

In the specific case of Arcane Eye, that clause is not present, and so True Seeing, Darkvision, Arcane Sight, and similar spells will work just fine through the sensor.

So... is that sufficiently clear?

Remove ads