Darkvision: Don't forget the Disadvantage & limitations!

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Too many people including Critical Role's Matt Mercer (who is often used as an example of an excellent DM) by his own admission tend to forget the drawbacks of darkvision. Namely that perceptions rolls with Darkvision are at disadvantage. Which is huge when traipsing through a trap/creature infested dungeons.

Oh, most people remember the fact that it can only see things in black and white (and I suppose grey), but it also mimics Dim Light. Dim Light conditions impose disadvantage on perception checks which also means that it's -5 on PASSIVE perception scores that deal with sight.

The problem. I think the main problem is that by ignoring this, darkvision kicks the crap outta human sight even more than it should.

Edit: Yes, I know that it's still better than being blind. The point is that it's not normal vision in darkness. It's poor black & white vision in darkness that still comes with a Disadvantage.

Last edited:

Laurefindel

Legend
Yes, I try to stress that as often as possible (well, without going nuts over it that is). Even characters with darkvision will appreciate a source of light, notably because it effectively provides 60 feet of bright light for them (instead of 30 feet of bright light, plus another 30 feet of dim light)

Nevvur

Explorer
Having disadvantage on perception checks in darkness isn't a drawback compared to automatically missing visual cues because you're blind in the dark.

But point taken. I'm guilty of forgetting about it, too. Happily, my current campaign is all human PCs, so there's nothing for me to forget, just lots of darkness for me to fill with unsettling noises and jump scares.

Disadvantage on Perception checks is still way better than being blind, but it does give a reason to carry a light source regardless, which means normal people won't feel quite so left out.

G

Guest 6801328

Misleading title. It would be more accurate to describe it as a limitation of Darkvision, not a drawback. Or possibly "a drawback to relying solely on Darkvision."

Al'Kelhar

Adventurer
Yep, I've had to remind my table time and again.

Me: "What light sources are you carrying?"

Them: "We don't need light, we've all got darkvision!"

Me: "OK. You know you all have disadvantage on Perception checks that rely on sight, right? And you know I love traps, right?"

Them: "Um. Ok". [All scrabbles around on character sheets to see if they have a torch or lantern noted somewhere.]

Cheers, Al'Kelhar

Shiroiken

Legend
I've considered using a limitation where it doesn't work if you're within bright light. This is similar to the way infravision was limited in AD&D, which was the ancestor of Darkvision.

5ekyu

Hero
Its a huge trade off... Use lights and put yourself in bright light which can be seen clearly from long distances barring LoS issues... Or take perception disadvantage for checks vs hidden things.

To me though, the illumination light rules are crap anyway so the dim light perc dv thing is way down the list.

Li Shenron

Legend
Funny, I usually don't forget the disadvantage in darkness but I keep making another mistake of thinking that darkvision allows to see in dim light as it was bright light...

Remove ads