• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Darwin's World] Very large Firearms

Tetsubo

First Post
One of the mutations avialable in DW is Giantism. Which means there are going to be some large folks wandering about. This got me thinking. Could you increase the size of a blackpowder pistol or rifle for use by a Large mutant?

Currently a blackpowder rifle does 1d12, so a large version would do 2d8. A pistol would go from 1d10 to 2d6. Is this unbalanced? Would it increase the range at all?

I chose blackpowder weapons as my example because they can more easily be made to fit a Large mutant. Since the game has high tech weapons that are fairly powerful I didn't Large conventional weapons would be unbalancing.

Any thoughts?

leaghe

First Post
I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to use oversized black powder weapons in DW. After all, I'm pretty sure that's how real world cannons were developed.

The damage does seem a bit high, but your figures are right out of the book. Weight and cost should be at least doubled, but I think range would remain the same. Still, I dread meeting your mutant on unfriendly terms.

To get these weapons, you'd probably have to find someone with Craft: Weaponsmith, and maybe Knowledge: Technology, too.

Leaghe

P.S. I'm pretty sure the mutation is 'gigantism', not 'giantism'.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads