Dave Arneson and D&D

kenjib

First Post
I remember Mr. Gygax, in a thread about the origin of monsters when these were still Eric Noah's boards, saying rather explicitly that the Tolkien stuff was added to appeal to a wider audience and improve marketability. I hope I'm not misrepresenting him but I seem to remember it distinctly. As he's likely checking out this very thread I should hope he would correct me if I am mistaken. Does anyone else remember this?

Welverin

First Post
kenjib said:
I remember Mr. Gygax, in a thread about the origin of monsters when these were still Eric Noah's boards, saying rather explicitly that the Tolkien stuff was added to appeal to a wider audience and improve marketability. I hope I'm not misrepresenting him but I seem to remember it distinctly. As he's likely checking out this very thread I should hope he would correct me if I am mistaken. Does anyone else remember this?

Yep, I remember him saying he added the Tolkien similarities for others and that he isn't all that fond of LotR.

Gez

First Post
Among the influences, I would add Fritz Leiber and Jack Vance. Howard also, probably. When I read the adventure of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, I can see the two character sheets. I even sometimes think that the ability of the rogue to use magic items comes from the fact that the Mouser was biclassed Wizard/Rogue, so to speak. And the magic system comes from Vance's Dying Earth books.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
I don't think Gary outright denied Tolkien's influence, but he has a distaste for people giving JRRT all the credit for modern fantasy.

People forget about Moorcock, Leiber, Howard, and Merrit, and I think Gary was more annoyed with authors and gamers thinking it was all done by him, or that Tolkien was the "pinacle" or fantasy.

AnthonyRoberson

First Post
Gygax Quote about Tolkien and D&D

Following is a quote directly from The Sorcerer's Scroll in Issue #13 of Dragon magazine in which Mr. Gygax commments on the Tolkien's influence on D&D:

Furthermore, D&D was not written to recreate or in any collective way simulate Professor Tolkien's world or beings. A few were included, such as Balrog, Orcs, etc. for it was recognized that Tolkien made some impressions on the literary world, which were worth including in D&D, but not the extent of basing the game system around them.

Cheers,

Anthony R.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Re: Gygax Quote about Tolkien and D&D

AnthonyRoberson said:
Following is a quote directly from The Sorcerer's Scroll in Issue #13 of Dragon magazine in which Mr. Gygax commments on the Tolkien's influence on D&D:

Furthermore, D&D was not written to recreate or in any collective way simulate Professor Tolkien's world or beings. A few were included, such as Balrog, Orcs, etc. for it was recognized that Tolkien made some impressions on the literary world, which were worth including in D&D, but not the extent of basing the game system around them.

Cheers,

Anthony R.

Gygax has said almost the exact same thing on these boards as recently as last year.

Remove ads