• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dave Arneson Death Confirmed

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I just wanted to add my condolences to Dave's family and friends - you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you, Dave, for giving us this great game and this great hobby. You will be missed.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
I was shocked and saddened by the news. Dave had called me a few weeks ago to talk about a book idea and he sounded great. He was cracking jokes and his condition seemed improved from our last conversation at GenCon 08.

Dave was a giant in the industry and we owe so much to him. I felt like he was an unsung hero in the gaming industry at large and D&D (and subsequent video games) would not be the same without his contributions.

I feel privileged to have had the chance to meet him and I'll raise a glass in his honor tonight.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
In 1982 I'd sit at my friend Ken's kitchen table, surrounded by books and dice and my best friends, and I'd look at the names on the front of my PHB. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson. What were they like? I pictured their characters stomping through fantasy worlds, creating the spells for the first time ever and passing them down to thousands of young adventurers. I knew their world was way cooler than anything I'd seen yet, and I wished with all my heart that I could meet them and say thanks for how much fun I was having.

I finally got to do so to Dave when I met him at last year's ENnies. I'd waited a long time for the honor. "Thank you" comes out a lot louder when it has that much time behind it. I'll miss him, and toast his memory.

Boregar

First Post
Sad news. My thoughts and condolances go out to Dave's family and friends.

And thanks Dave, for the countless hours of entertainment and, more importantly, the friendships, that your creation has brought me and, I'm sure, many others.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Sad, though not surprising. When I last saw Dave Arneson at Gencon last year, he appeared to be anemic, thin, in a wheelchair and was clearly not in good health. He looked elderly in a way that Gary never did. A friend of mine quietly observed that it was likely the last time we would have a chance to meet Dave Arneson and shake his hand. I nodded silently.

And so we did. We shook his hand and we thanked him. And I'm very glad I did, too.

When Gary died, it was like losing a piece of my childhood. I'd be lying if I said this feels the same. But that doesn't mean that it does not matter.

Not too sure about the rest of you guys, but all of this over the past year - and a recent birthday last week - has me feeling significantly mortal these days.

Carpe diem.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads