• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dave Trampier Tribute

thalmin

Retired game store owner
We just got in the latest Knights of the Dinner Table #208. I was pleasantly surprised to see a cartoon protrait of Dave Trampier on the cover. He was surrounded by Wormy, a lizardman, 2 bugbears, an imp, an adventurer, a hill giant, a fire giant, and a lammasu; all Trampier creations from early TSR publications. I nice tribute to one of the early artists of D&D.

(I'm stumped by the flying robot, though.)

darjr

I crit!
The first person to identify each of the images and where they are from might get some rep......

One post per image.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
kodt208.jpg

Thorindale

First Post
Robot is from Gamma World (already mentioned)
Hill Giant from the Monster Manual
Wormy and the Imp from Dragon Magazine (obviously)
Lizard Man from the Monster Manual
Adventurer from the DM Screen
Bugbears from Module D1 - Descent Into the Depths of the Earth
Fire Giant from the Monster Manual
Manticore from Module S2 - White Plume Mountain (?)

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I've got a nostalgia-on for this guy. The 2e MM was what hooked me into this hobby, and DT's illos pinged right in my Saturday Morning Cartoon zone. Very cool.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
The Adventurer image is actually from the 1e PHB.

The giants and lizardman, as rightly said, are from the 1e MM. Bugbears from Descent. Check. Wormy/imp from Dragon. Check. Gamma World robot. [gimme] Check.

The manticore/lammasu (I was thinking it was a manticore too, but then the feathered instead of bat-like wings would indicate a lammasu. So I'm all thrown off) I am at a total loss. But I am almost 100% that the particular image is not from White Plume Mountain. Anyone know that one? [EDIT: OO! Unless its supposed to be an androsphinx? Any modules/books with male sphinxes in them anyone can think of? /EDIT]

Thorindale

First Post
The Adventurer image is actually from the 1e PHB.
The manticore/lammasu (I was thinking it was a manticore too, but then the feathered instead of bat-like wings would indicate a lammasu. So I'm all thrown off) I am at a total loss. But I am almost 100% that the particular image is not from White Plume Mountain. Anyone know that one? [EDIT: OO! Unless its supposed to be an androsphinx? Any modules/books with male sphinxes in them anyone can think of? /EDIT]

The manticore is actually an adrosphinx from the DMG in the Random Encounter Tables (just checked)
I guessed at the Adventurer -- it just looked so familiar to the artwork from the DM screen.

Last edited:

Remove ads