David C. Sutherland III passed away (merged)

Westgate Polks

First Post
Amen, PM. I just started looking through my AD&D PHB. The Paladin in Hell picture MADE me play a Paladin. I also loved the picture of the wizard with the imp on his shoulder - made me think about the consequences of hunting for absolute power.

Thumbing through the MM is even better / worse: Bulette, Bugbear, Carrion Crawler, Cockatrice, Demogorgon, Orcus, Yeenoghu, Doppleganger, all the Dragons, the Elementals, Gnolls, etc. I would say that at least half of the images that run through my head when I play D&D in whatever form are (at least) based on his work.

RIP - you have gone to a place where you will be appreciated, but you leave behind a place where you will be missed.

Sad news indeed, but a good opportunity to collectively celebrate his work and reflect on it's influence on us.

DSC's art will live forever in our hearts and memories!

Much love man!

Beckett

Explorer
Sad news, but he will live on in every game which draws some inspiration from his art. At my game, his dice see continued use every week.

Quasqueton

First Post
Can someone post a couple images of his work? I recognize his name, but I can't think of his illustrations off hand (without going back through my old books page by page.)

Edit: I didn't see Westgate Polk's post before I wrote the above. Thanks for the pointers.

Quasqueton

Quasqueton said:
Can someone post a couple images of his work? I recognize his name, but I can't think of his illustrations off hand (without going back through my old books page by page.)

Edit: I didn't see Westgate Polk's post before I wrote the above. Thanks for the pointers.

Quasqueton

Here's a classic, and one of my all-time fave pieces:

images

And another fave from 1E MM:

images

Napftor

Explorer
I'm happy that I have a few original pieces of Dave's work to treasure (from the recent Ebay auctions). Like many of us, this man's artwork fueled the imagination and continues to do so today when we thumb through older gaming products.

RIP Dave, and thanks.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Quasqueton said:

Quasqueton

He did the covers for the 1E MM, the 1E DMG (the original cover, efreeti holding the chick, City of Brass floating in the background), Shrine of the Kuo-Toa cover, Descent into the Depths of the Earth cover, and a ton of interior work on many products...

List of his works from Pen-and-Paper:
http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showcreator&creatorid=507

Remove ads