• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Daybreakers: Good scifi turned into "meh" horror

Merkuri

Explorer
Anyone seen this movie? My husband and I just finished watching it on DVD. It felt like somebody had taken a reasonably cerebral sci-fi "what if" plot and dumbed it down it with gore. Lots and lots of gore.

It starts out promising. The main idea is that in the near future vampires have taken over society, and the human population has dwindled to nearly nothing, leaving the vamps with a problem. They have to develop a blood substitute before they all starve and degenerate into monsters.

We get to see what the world would look like if vampires were the dominant species. The streets are deserted during the day. There are tunnels under the city called a "subwalk" for daytime travel. Cars can blacken their windows and be driven via camera. Public safety warnings announce when there's only an hour left before daylight.

Then a failed blood substitute experiment makes somebody explode. I mean literally explode.

The gore in this movie is so ridiculously over the top that it quickly became funny. My husband and I broke out laughing uncontrollably when a car gets speared through the windshield by an I-beam, blowing a torrent of blood out the back window, followed closely by the car exploding in flames. If this movie taught me anything it's that vampires are sacks of pressurized blood and flammable gas.

The main character has no background, no hobbies, no family (aside from one brother), and no personality. All we know about him is that he is a scientist and never wanted to be a vampire. The other characters are similarly flat.

It was not a waste of a dollar (yay for Redbox), but I felt like this had the potential to be a great sci-fi movie if some producer hadn't felt the need to dumb it down into a mediocre horror gore-fest.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
It's one of those "what could have been" movies. It has a lot of cool things offset by a lot of stupid things. And the second half really drags. It's like they forgot midway what kind of ending they were trying to get to.

RainOfSteel

Explorer
If this movie taught me anything it's that vampires are sacks of pressurized blood and flammable gas.
Didn't you know?

It was not a waste of a dollar (yay for Redbox), but I felt like this had the potential to be a great sci-fi movie if some producer hadn't felt the need to dumb it down into a mediocre horror gore-fest.
You've just described four-fifths of everything coming out of Hollywood.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Sadly enough Daybreakers isn't a hollywood movie but rather a Canada-Australia production

The FX were done by the WeteWorkshop (whose horror credentials are primarily gorefest, so that explains the blood:))

I tend to agree that thos movie had great sci-fi thriller potential but rather than being ruined by the gore I think it was ruined by being boring as heck (flat characters, stupid plot decisions) I've tried to watch it ,aybe 3 times and evey time I tend to loose interest and then fall asleep somewhere in the second half...

Still decent but yeah.... a bit bloody. What I took from it was a possible one night game set within this world. THAT has possibilities.

Remove ads