• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Daylight Sensitivity-combatting goggles?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Not sure if this is the right forum, so forgive me if it's misposted ...

But could one justify the creation of not-super-expensive goggles custom-fitted for a character who is normally sensitive to daylight (not a vampire, but a kobold, orc, etc.) that would let them function normally in daylight, but would require them to take off the cumbersome light-sealed goggles when in a darker environment, like that lit by torches?

Is it sufficient balance to be able to operate in daylight for these characters, but they have to take a standard action to remove their goggles when entering a darker environment to be able to see at all? (i.e. low light vision and darkvision don't help at all when wearing the goggles)

What Craft skill would be used to make something like this? And how much should such a thing cost? Assume a PHB baseline level for technology and economy.

babomb

First Post
Sunglasses, huh? Sure. Taking into account approximate technological level, I'd say 100 gp is in the right neighborhood. After all, a magnifying glass is 100 gp, and precision-grinding glass into the proper shape can be expensive. These don't need magnification, but they need tint. I'd probably err to the side of expensive though, because it would allow certain races to effectively ignore a significant mechanical setback.

Staffan

Legend
From a balance point of view, I'm thinking a magic item with a cost similar to the goggles of night (that gives darkvision), but using darkness as a prerequisite instead.

fafhrd

First Post
Staffan said:
From a balance point of view, I'm thinking a magic item with a cost similar to the goggles of night (that gives darkvision), but using darkness as a prerequisite instead.
The Goggles of Day are detailed in The Heart of Nightfang Spire. They have a different cost than the Goggles of Night IIRC.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Goggles of Day are capable of protecting a vampire from sunlight, no? That's a bit more powerful than these.

I was thinking of a non-magical item that replicated this spell, basically:

Brightvision
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The subject gains the ability to function normally in bright natural light and sunlight, despite any light sensitivity they may normally experience. Brightvision does not prevent penalties caused by bright light worse than being dazzled, however; the spell could not protect a vampire from the effects of direct sunlight, for instance. The spell also does not protect against spells that use light to create effects that everyone is affected by, even if they are not sensitive to bright lights, such as Daze or Hypnotic Pattern.

Brightvision can be made permanent with a permanency spell. (Minimum 10th caster level, 1,000 XP cost.)

Focus: A translucent piece of mica.

Given how useful it is, though, it might just have to be a wondrous item.

BelXiror

First Post
Does your world have stained/coloured glass?

Does it have normal glasses/spectacles/goggles?

If so, figuring out to make those spec's/goggles dark isn't that hard of a stretch.

Those which get dazzled by bright light, like orcs, can ignore the dazzlement. Those who don't get dazzled by bright light get a +1 circumstance bonus to relfex saves vs dazzling/blinding. Of course, in dark conditions they half vision distance from light (ie, torch gives 10ft radius light).

Not many orcs will have them, as it takes at least some skill to make the glasses. They may be popular among drow who frequent the surface.

And regular people who want to hide there eyes from bright light, like we do now :p

Khayman

First Post
Why not just treat them as a masterwork item, available from dealers in optics? Construction could be either tinted glass or obsidian, and the price shoudn't exceed 55 gp or so.

The other option is to use snow goggles, which may not be the look you're going for.

Gez

First Post
Just so you know, the Inuits had "sunglasses" made in bones. Even when you do not have the tools, materials, or knowledge to make glass, you usually have enough to make thin slits into bones or wood and put it before your eyes.

That's house-rulish, but I had a tribe of kobolds with such implements. It allowed them to ignore their normal penalty, but in exchange, it gave them a -1 penalty on Spot checks, as it reduces your field of vision.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
BelXiror said:
Those which get dazzled by bright light, like orcs, can ignore the dazzlement. Those who don't get dazzled by bright light get a +1 circumstance bonus to relfex saves vs dazzling/blinding. Of course, in dark conditions they half vision distance from light (ie, torch gives 10ft radius light).

Not many orcs will have them, as it takes at least some skill to make the glasses. They may be popular among drow who frequent the surface.

And regular people who want to hide there eyes from bright light, like we do now :p

I had something like this in one of my campaigns. It worked well. Plus, it was just cool having kobolds wear sunglasses. :D They cost 100gp IMC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads