• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DC Checks From Spells From Scrolls?

Aluvial

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:

Sure you can. That's what Heighten Spell is for.

-Hyp.

How does this any other metamagic effects apply?

From the SRD (again)
SAVING THROWS AGAINST MAGIC ITEM POWERS

Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is always 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability bonus of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

Another way to figure this number is to multiply the spell’s level by 1.5 and add 10 to the result.

Most item descriptions give saving throw DCs for various effects, particularly when the effect has no exact spell equivalent (making its level otherwise difficult to determine quickly).

It seems to me that it is always the same UNLESS you have this feat from the Epic Level Handbook
Enhance Item [Item Creation]
You can increase the minimum DC for saving throws of magic items you create.

Prerequisite: Any other item creation feat

Benefit: Choose any item creation feat you already
know. When you create an item with that feat, adjust the DC for saving throws required by the magic item, if any, by your key ability modifier.

Normal: When a character creates a magic item, she uses the minimum key ability score necessary to imbed a spell of a given level, and the associated modifier to adjust the DC for saving throws, regardless of her actual key ability score, which could be higher.

Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a different item creation feat that you already know.
This essentially spells it out. All DC's are the same according to that chart I did above.

I would have thought that scrolls were different, but unless someone can point out a flaw in these rules, I would be wrong about that!

I'm still curious about metamagic feats, can someone explain them?

Aluvial

Antikinesis

First Post
Aluvial said:

How does this any other metamagic effects apply?

From the SRD (again)
[Snipped.]

It seems to me that it is always the same UNLESS you have this feat from the Epic Level Handbook

This essentially spells it out. All DC's are the same according to that chart I did above.

I would have thought that scrolls were different, but unless someone can point out a flaw in these rules, I would be wrong about that!

I'm still curious about metamagic feats, can someone explain them?

Aluvial
From the SRD:
Effects of Metamagic Feats on a Spell: In all ways, a metamagic spell operates at its original level even though it is prepared and cast as a higher-level spell. Saving throw modifications are not changed (unless stated otherwise in the feat description).
(emphasis mine)
Heighten Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit: A heightened spell has a higher spell level than normal (up to 9th level). Unlike other metamagic feats, Heighten Spell actually increases the effective level of the spell that it modifies. All effects dependent on spell level (such as saving throw DCs and ability to penetrate a minor globe of invulnerability) are calculated according to the heightened level. The heightened spell is as difficult to prepare and cast as a spell of its effective level.
(emphasis mine)
Magic Items and Metamagic Spells: With the right item creation feat, a character can store a metamagic spell in a scroll, potion, or wand. Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell’s higher, metamagic level. A character doesn’t need the metamagic feat to activate an item storing a metamagic spell.
(emphasis mine)

The ELH feat would still be useful for characters with primary spellcasting abilities that exceed the minimum needed for the increased Heightened spell level.

-AK

Remove ads