[DCC] Cleric of Cthulhu? Turn Unholy?

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Hello!
New Judge here with a new group of players. So one of the players has thrown me a curveball before even reaching 1st level, he wants to be a Cleric of Cthulhu. I understand that there are folks of the opinion who think that Cthulhu wouldn't have a Cleric. While I think this is reasonable, I'd really like to accommodate the player because I think it would be interesting and I'm curious to see how this plays out.

My question is what creatures would a Cleric of Cthulhu deem Unholy?

Also if you have any experience with this, please share! One idea that I like is that anybody who is healed by the Cleric will be haunted with disturbing dreams of Cthulhu on their next rest.

PS I've already posted on the Goodman Games Forums, but this place gets far more traffic. Just trying to cast a wide net.

darjr

I crit!
Hello!
New Judge here with a new group of players. So one of the players has thrown me a curveball before even reaching 1st level, he wants to be a Cleric of Cthulhu. I understand that there are folks of the opinion who think that Cthulhu wouldn't have a Cleric. While I think this is reasonable, I'd really like to accommodate the player because I think it would be interesting and I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Also if you have any experience with this, please share! One idea that I like is that anybody who is healed by the Cleric will be haunted with disturbing dreams of Cthulhu on their next rest.

PS I've already posted on the Goodman Games Forums, but this place gets far more traffic. Just trying to cast a wide net.
I would give anyone healed a chance at the wizard corruption table.

not-so-newguy

I would give anyone healed a chance at the wizard corruption table.

Hmm, this might work with minor corruption since the table has only one negative mechanical outcome (that i would ignore). I don't want to penalize the player for choosing a deity. Maybe the Cleric considers the corruption a blessing...

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
There's a table in the Cleric section of the DCC rulebook that gives broad suggestions based on alignment. At first blush I'd say any sort of angelic/divine beings, possibly lawful clergy generally.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'd say Cthulhu is fairly typical for a god of Chaos. From the DCC book that lists: Angels, paladins, lawful dragons, Lords of Law, Lawful Primes, and Law-aligned humanoids (e.g., goblins).

But the book lists Cthulhu as a Neutral god. Page 32, 8th Printing. So the unholy for Neutral gods are: Mundane animals, un-dead, demons, devils, monsters (e.g., basilisk or medusa), lycanthropes, perversions of nature (e.g., otyughs and slimes).

not-so-newguy

So after some messaging back and forth with the player, we decided to roll randomly (his idea). He can now Turn Demons. 🤷

My own homebrewed nonsense...
1) when your Cleric Heals someone, then there's a 5% chance of mutation. This wil not affect the character negatively, although the results will probably be strange & gross. A Cleric of Cthulhu considers this a Mark of Distinction and a "Blessing."

How it'll work in game: The Cleric rolls a D20 when a character is healed. On a result of 20, the recipient of the Heal receives a minor corruption. Note: we will ignore the one result on the corruption table that causes a mechanical penalty because I just want to use this as flavor.

2) A recipient of your healing will have very visceral and disturbing dreams of Cthulhu. Again, A cleric considers this a good thing.

not-so-newguy

Clerics of the Known Realms (free) from Realm 15 fleshes out the gods from the core rule book that are not covered in the DCC Annual, Cthulhu being one of them.
Thank you!!!

Edit: the document can't download b/c it's been "corrupted or damaged"
Edit #2: nevermind. I downloaded it from a Google search and it worked!

Last edited:

Remove ads