• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDI and IPAD

Nathal

Explorer
Does anybody know if some DDI stuff is Flash based? Like the Compendium? I know Dungeon and Dragon are just PDF, so that's fine. I've been thinking about getting an IPAD, but the lack of Flash support has me re-thinking the decision.

Enclave

First Post
Does anybody know if some DDI stuff is Flash based? Like the Compendium? I know Dungeon and Dragon are just PDF, so that's fine. I've been thinking about getting an IPAD, but the lack of Flash support has me re-thinking the decision.

The Compendium works on my iPhone so I assume it would work on the iPad.

catsclaw227

First Post
I am pretty sure you won't be able to run the CB or Adventure Tools, since they are developed with the .NET framework. Those are the key DDI applications, along with Compendium that makes a difference to me.

Enclave

First Post
I am pretty sure you won't be able to run the CB or Adventure Tools, since they are developed with the .NET framework. Those are the key DDI applications, along with Compendium that makes a difference to me.

Oh you most definitely will not be able to use those. Only the Compendium will work.

Obryn

Hero
One of my players has a character manager which just reads his .dnd4e file. I'm assuming the iPad should work for that, too.

-O

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
You should be able to use iplay4e to view your characters made with the charbuilder in a browser. If you´re unsure, ask the guys at iplay4e if the ipad can view their site.

pedr

Explorer
iPlay4e works perfectly on the iPhone/iPod Touch, so I'm sure it'll be amazing on the iPad. It will need a constant Internet connection, though. I expect their are other offline dnd4e readers - alternatively you could get a PDF printer for the computer you're using the Character Builder on, and print character sheets to PDFs which you can read on the iPad. (I use CutePDF: CutePDF - Create PDF for free, Free PDF Utilities, Save PDF Forms, Edit PDF easily.)

The Scryer gateway to the Compendium (Scryer - D&D Insider Compendium Searcher) will avoid the WotC site which is optimised for desktop browsers and doesn't play well with mobile ones. (Just Items and Monsters at the moment - I hope it's still being developed!). Having said that, I just tested the Compendium on the iPod Touch and it was quite usable. It benefited from changes in orientation at times and quite a lot of screen resizing, and response time to button-presses was between 5 and 15 seconds so you need to be patient, but it does work. I expect - again - that some of the fiddle is due to screen size and would be reduced on the iPad.

It works better than 'Browser' or Dolphin on the Nexus One, which doesn't seem to want to display the results which is a shame as the interaction with the interface works better.

Last edited:

Enclave

First Post
There are plenty of other tablets hitting the market, soon, with a wider selection of features.

The iPad isn't a tablet, it's something far more useless. A tablet PC is basically a fully functional laptop that has a screen that can swivel and click back down so it's in a tablet form. I nearly bought one when I got my new laptop 4 months ago.

Remove ads