• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDI and IPAD

caudor

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure at this point that I'm getting an iPad (just waiting for payday).

I like to buy ebooks--especially FR novels, but don't really like being chained to my computer to read them. I'd much rather read on my recliner. My eyesight isn't that great, so reading books on my iPhone is not so appealing.

I envision using it for reading Dragon and Dungeon Magazines too, and if WotC ever start selling electronic version of sourcebooks, I'd buy them too. Right now, WotC is missing potential sales.

Before the iPad, I was considering a Kindle. But the iPad does so much more than the Kindle DX at about the same price. Plus I get full color, games, apps, surfing, etc.

The iPad is a great value is you like reading eBooks and don't mind not having the e-ink.

thewok

First Post
The iPad isn't a tablet, it's something far more useless. A tablet PC is basically a fully functional laptop that has a screen that can swivel and click back down so it's in a tablet form. I nearly bought one when I got my new laptop 4 months ago.
Those are convertible notebooks, actually. A pure tablet has no keyboard. The input device is the pen/stylus/whatever you want to call it.

Even so, your point is correct. The ipad is not a tablet computer. A tablet computer is a fully-featured computer that uses an alternate method of input. (stylus instead of keyboard). The ipad is more of a bigger ipod touch. It's not a full computer.

I would love to see the limitations of the ipad come back to bite Apple in the rear, but it won't happen. If you're wanting a device with limited functionality that can check e-mail, browse the web, display ebooks and play music, then the ipad is a good device. If you want a full computer, it's not worth the cash.

edit: I guess I should add that I am planning on a convertible notebook for myself. I was considering an ipad, but a machine that can't multitask is useless to me. If WotC ever hops on the electronic sales bandwagon again, I'd want the ability to have multiple books open at once. I've also become quite a fan of Master Planner, which uses the .net framework as its base.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure at this point that I'm getting an iPad (just waiting for payday).

I like to buy ebooks--especially FR novels, but don't really like being chained to my computer to read them. I'd much rather read on my recliner. My eyesight isn't that great, so reading books on my iPhone is not so appealing.

I envision using it for reading Dragon and Dungeon Magazines too, and if WotC ever start selling electronic version of sourcebooks, I'd buy them too. Right now, WotC is missing potential sales.

Before the iPad, I was considering a Kindle. But the iPad does so much more than the Kindle DX at about the same price. Plus I get full color, games, apps, surfing, etc.

The iPad is a great value is you like reading eBooks and don't mind not having the e-ink.
I'm with you. The iPad certainly isn't for everyone, but it looks to be a perfect fit for my uses. However, I never considered the Kindle because I can't imagine spending that much for basically a single-function device (but that's just my opinion - my mom has one and it's perfect for her). I read about 100-200 pages of journal articles for grad school a week and it's great to have them to read anywhere (I lurv Dropbox!) but, I agree that reading them on a small screen is just a pain.

Plus I am really looking forward to incorporating it into my games and am even considering re-subscribing to Pathfinder for the PDFs and DMing Kingmaker just from the iPad. I have plenty of the other campaigns to run, but the idea of shiny newness beckons!

Even so, your point is correct. The ipad is not a tablet computer. A tablet computer is a fully-featured computer that uses an alternate method of input. (stylus instead of keyboard). The ipad is more of a bigger ipod touch. It's not a full computer.

I would love to see the limitations of the ipad come back to bite Apple in the rear, but it won't happen. If you're wanting a device with limited functionality that can check e-mail, browse the web, display ebooks and play music, then the ipad is a good device. If you want a full computer, it's not worth the cash.
Exactly, the iPad meets the needs of some consumers but not others. Personally, not only do I not need a full computer to carry around, I actually don't want a full computer to carry around between the extra maintenance and using an interface that is primarily designed for desktop computers. I know plenty of people who have netbooks and love them. Personally I can't stand netbooks. Full laptops are great (I have to struggle to get our laptop away from my wife who LOOOOVES it), but not portable enough for me going to and from work and home and school.

For me the iPad looks to meet those needs great and I really hope that Apple doesn't get bit in the rear over them (although looking at the estimated sales figures so far, they seem to be doing just fine).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For me, I think it suits me - a portable device for media consumption and web browsing, and the occasional idling on various games. Sort of a "things to do on the train/plane" type thing.

Nathal

Explorer
Multi-tasking and lack of flash support is dissapointing, but the IPAD to me is a great Ereader concept. I don't own an Ipod or an E-reader of any kind, so it will be nice. I could wait for the Windows based HP Slate or other offers bound to come down the pike soon, but I think the IPAD meets my needs well enough. If I wasn't in the market for E-Books, especially in color with PDF support, I'd stick with my laptop.

pollochicken

First Post
With tablets and ereaders on the rise, I hope Wizards will eventually reconsider its stance on the selling of PDF sourcebooks. I would love to have an ereader and a PDF of all the books than a stack of 10+ books hidden under the table when I play.

Hell, knowing me I'd probably double dip and buy the hardcover and digital copies of most books.

caudor

Adventurer
With tablets and ereaders on the rise, I hope Wizards will eventually reconsider its stance on the selling of PDF sourcebooks. I would love to have an ereader and a PDF of all the books than a stack of 10+ books hidden under the table when I play.

Hell, knowing me I'd probably double dip and buy the hardcover and digital copies of most books.

Yes, I would probably double dip as well. I wonder if it is possible to present the current sourcebooks as epub and keep the formatting the same? I wonder if WotC still has the electronic sourcebook issue on the table.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Multitasking

While I do not plan to buy one any time soon, multitasking is likely not that far off for the iPad. Would love to see not only WotC, but other publishers continue their initial efforts on mobile devices to bring great apps to the gaming table. Having hyperlinked PDF'ed rulebooks on my mobile device of choice would be excellent. With an iPad or similar device, could also show off graphics of monsters/situations through a search function. Size does make a difference.

Enclave

First Post
I'm with you. The iPad certainly isn't for everyone, but it looks to be a perfect fit for my uses. However, I never considered the Kindle because I can't imagine spending that much for basically a single-function device (but that's just my opinion - my mom has one and it's perfect for her). I read about 100-200 pages of journal articles for grad school a week and it's great to have them to read anywhere (I lurv Dropbox!) but, I agree that reading them on a small screen is just a pain.

Plus I am really looking forward to incorporating it into my games and am even considering re-subscribing to Pathfinder for the PDFs and DMing Kingmaker just from the iPad. I have plenty of the other campaigns to run, but the idea of shiny newness beckons!

Exactly, the iPad meets the needs of some consumers but not others. Personally, not only do I not need a full computer to carry around, I actually don't want a full computer to carry around between the extra maintenance and using an interface that is primarily designed for desktop computers. I know plenty of people who have netbooks and love them. Personally I can't stand netbooks. Full laptops are great (I have to struggle to get our laptop away from my wife who LOOOOVES it), but not portable enough for me going to and from work and home and school.

For me the iPad looks to meet those needs great and I really hope that Apple doesn't get bit in the rear over them (although looking at the estimated sales figures so far, they seem to be doing just fine).

You should note that I'm not talking about netbooks. I'm talking about tablet PC's that can do EVERYTHING the iPad can do, including the touch based interface. Hell, they can even read your hand writing and convert it into text.

They're far more versitile than the iPad and far more powerful and on top of that have been around for years. They really do render the iPad obsolete even before the iPad was ever made. The only reason the iPad is doing at all well is because Apple has a load of loyal followers, many of whom don't even know that tablet PC's exist.

Remove ads