• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDI annoyance: a solution to forced/unavoidable continuing billing

tsadkiel

Legend
It's impossible to tell how much, but I guarantee that their enforced optin for autorenewal has cost them business.

It cost them mine. I like the online Dragon, and I'd happily sign up if they dropped the autorenewal, but not until then. (Yeah, I understand that I can work around it. I shouldn't have to.)

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
Thanks for the heads up on this Graf.

Tonight I bought a subscription. As soon as I got into the pay content, I zapped the payment info and put in a ticket for removing auto-renew.

After that, I sent another message through the help system that explained I was pretty ticked off that I had to jump through hoops for something like that in the first place. I explained it will affect how I look at future WotC online purchases and it will.

I think the pricing for Dragon and Dungeon is good. But seriously, I could have picked up Adventurer's Vault and both FR books for almost the same price at Amazon, without having to ask permission not to be charged again next year. I know WotC people visit here from time to time. Please tell whoever makes these decisions that I probably wasn't the only person who was one click away from sending my money elsewhere.

James McMurray

First Post
Why would anyone subscribe to it yet anyway? Is anything working on it yet?

Both Dragon and Dungeon magazines are up and putting out some good quality stuff. They're worth the price to me, especially since it's easier to share the cost and use of this with an entire group than it is a print magazine.

The rest of it (Compendium, Encounter Builder, etc.) I'll use if they ever come up to speed, but they're just gravy to me. I'd have paid $60 for the magazines alone.

I really likethe idea of the encounter builder, but it needs more customization, needs to be tied into the compendium for stats, and needs to save the information in plain text or formatted html/rtf. All things they've promised but I'm not holding my breath for. The monster maker could also be nice, but needs to let you save the info and output them in fomratted html, otherwise it's strictly worse than the free alternative.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Can someone explain something to me please? When I subscribed, there was a check-box that said "Store my credit card details". Naturally I un-checked it. How will they auto-renew if they don't have my details?

Milambus

First Post
Can someone explain something to me please? When I subscribed, there was a check-box that said "Store my credit card details". Naturally I un-checked it. How will they auto-renew if they don't have my details?

I don't recall that being there when I subscribed. Perhaps they have heard the complaints and added it already.

And to answer your question, they shouldn't be able to.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I don't recall that being there when I subscribed. Perhaps they have heard the complaints and added it already.

And to answer your question, they shouldn't be able to.
This is why I remain somewhat confused. The subscription process for me included acknowledging T's & C's which specifically called attention to the fact that they would auto-renew, while at the same time giving me the option of disallowing storage of my card details! All very strange.

And irrelevant, to me anyway. Auto-renewing subscriptions are a basic part of most online services I subscribe to and it didn't seem out of place from Wizards.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
There's a simple solution to this issue, and I'm surprised we haven't seen someone from WotC here already to talk about it.

It sounds like you already can opt out of the renewal by removing your card information, so why not just make that explicit? Also why not come and just address the issue? I'm sure someone from WotC is reading the responses to posts like this, so why not come by and chime in?

This auto-renewal process isn't evil or something, and as others have said, it's standard for a lot of services. All you need is a way for someone to opt out as a part of their account and there's no longer an issue. So just make the opt-out process easy and voila, thread over.

--Steve

Mezzer

First Post
I really likethe idea of the encounter builder, but it needs more customization, needs to be tied into the compendium for stats, and needs to save the information in plain text or formatted html/rtf. All things they've promised but I'm not holding my breath for. The monster maker could also be nice, but needs to let you save the info and output them in fomratted html, otherwise it's strictly worse than the free alternative.
Actually, if they tweaked and integrated the bonus tools, they could have another singular tool that would, quite frankly, be more useful (if less cool/flashy) than the stuff they're working on now. A monster builder, which lets you store your monsters once they're done, and design encounters with them, along with say traps, would be quite useful. As it stands, the encounter builder is not all that useful, and the monster builder is ok. But, they're subscription only, and I'm not about to pay for any of WotC's online ventures, unless they (somehow) finally get their act together.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Graf, thanks for the heads up on this. Much appreciated.

I don't mind auto-renewal, but I detest not being given a choice. I deleted my account information on general principle as a result.

Remove ads