• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDI Articles Wednesday Oct 13

Dire Bare

Legend
Today's articles:

Channel Divinity: Kord

D&D Outsider: Devas

These are two of the best articles I've seen in a long time on DDI!!! There is no crunch in the Deva article, it's just a fun and interesting exploration of what it means to be immortal. Very well thought out and a blast to read!

The Kord article was fantastic too! Crunch equals some Kord-inspired skill powers that are very well designed, IMO. And five pages of fluff with some of the best backgrounds I've seen written for 4E yet! (I guess backgrounds are technically crunch, but they read more fluffy to me).

Thanks WotC for two great articles today!

Minifig

First Post
You should look up the Winning Races: Wilden. I think it's issue #388.

Bruce R. Cordell wrote an absolutely gloriously beautiful back story as to where the Wilden came from entitled 'The Seedling Myth'. The first line is 'The first wildens sprouted spontaneously from a confleuence of growing things, spirtual energy and a Feywild grove devastated by greed."

They are such an awesome race.

Mengu

First Post
It's all in the eye of the beholder I suppose. I looked at the Deva article, was excited to see it wasn't insider only, thinking they may have given it the eseentials treatment, saw no alternate stat, blew a raspberry and moved on. I looked at the Kord article, read Talented Athletics, went bleh, read Kord's Force, thought we already do this when someone is required to make a strength check (I typically have them make an athletics check), so the power was pointless to me. Steeled Against It was the only remotely interesting power, but for a level 10 utility, there are lots of options so not sure even that will cut the mustard.

I read the fluff of the Kord article with interest, looking for tid bits I could use in one of my upcoming encounters with some dwarf worshippers of Kord. I was disappointed in the lack of tangible material. The sidebar on Devotions could have been useful if it wasn't all rather trivial and vague. And for the player perspective, I naturally come up with the stuff that's spelled out in the article if I'm playing a character who worships Kord. I remain unimpressed. The article uses lots of words to give the exact same information in the two paragraphs about Kord in PHB.

I won't deny it might be a handy resource for some, especially newer players and DM's, but neither article did all that much for me.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The deva article is absolutely awesome. I've got a friend playing a Deva at present; I'll have him look at it for role-playing ideas! :)

Cheers!

Remove ads