• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDI Idea: Campaign Pages on the web

Cryptos

First Post
Reading through various threads about DDI for 4e, value seems to be the major issue. I can't help but think of all the features that are offered by other places and things I might pay a subscription for online and compare. It's foolish for them to think that because it's something different than other things online (that they're aware of and acknowledging, because there are free virtual RPG tables) that any comparison is unfair - I and many of their potential customers will be making a choice for which things I want to pay a monthly fee. So what can they do?

Well, if they are determined to keep the pricing scheme the same, this thing has got to have features in spades, something worth the ongoing price of admission. One thing I was thinking about was something that Everquest 2 offers - guild and player pages on the web.

Wouldn't it be nice if your subscription came with a small spot on the Internet where you could share your character or share your world with your fellow gamers?

A DM is likely to have a lot of things they're going to want to share with their players. Maps of the setting, background information, perhaps a recap of what went on in previous sessions for absent players and people that want to follow the campaign, and (for some most importantly) house rules.

If one of your players is thinking about taking a feat when they level up, they can look on your campaign page and see whether it's allowed. They don't have to wait for the next session to see if they will run into a snag with their plans. If someone missed a game session, they can go and see a DM-generated synopsis of what happened or perhaps you could even log a certain amount of sessions directly to the page. Announcements when a game needs to be rescheduled, etc. All very useful as a support feature to the main "product."

Granted, I'm not sure that even that would cover the subscription for me, as there are plenty of free web hosting schemes out there (like Blogger), but as a feature, it certainly wouldn't hurt. If the storage space to create your page was decent enough, it might make up for the subscription fee somewhat.

Whether they realize it or not, they are in direct competition with a variety of online services - not just MMOs - for entering into the online gaming subscription business. Heck, they're in direct competition with one of their own product licenses in the form of NWN and NWN2 in terms of playing D&D online and being able to create your own adventures and worlds to play in.

They need to start thinking about things that give DDI more of an edge. Player pages and campaign pages might help.

DanChops

First Post
Cryptos said:
Wouldn't it be nice if your subscription came with a small spot on the Internet where you could share your character or share your world with your fellow gamers?

A DM is likely to have a lot of things they're going to want to share with their players. Maps of the setting, background information, perhaps a recap of what went on in previous sessions for absent players and people that want to follow the campaign, and (for some most importantly) house rules.

If one of your players is thinking about taking a feat when they level up, they can look on your campaign page and see whether it's allowed. They don't have to wait for the next session to see if they will run into a snag with their plans. If someone missed a game session, they can go and see a DM-generated synopsis of what happened or perhaps you could even log a certain amount of sessions directly to the page. Announcements when a game needs to be rescheduled, etc. All very useful as a support feature to the main "product."

I may be wrong, but it has been my impression that these features are already planned for the DDI. I don't have a source for that, but these are aspects of it that have had me excited since almost day one.

Incenjucar

Legend
I've already been using pbwiki to set up my 4E homebrew setting. Something like that, especially if it has some tools to let you format it like D&D's books (optional, not mandatory, of course) with minimal effort, would be great.

Bonus points if they throw some small, unobtrusive ads and let you get something every few hundred page views in case your setting becomes a big hit, whether money or perks.

It would be pretty great if you could pay for a subscription by generating lots of ad views, thus encouraging lots of setting work.

am181d

Adventurer
I believe that "campaign pages" are part of the plan. I assume they're going to be built out of Gleemax's Web 2.0 structure. Personally, I find that I get a headache and want to vomit every time I go to the Gleemax site, so being able to either (a) kill it dead or (b) view it in a D&D wrap would be a nice alternative.

Remove ads