• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDI the GSL and my offline digital needs

Talislan

First Post
Over in another thread Here, I commented on my disapointment at the DDI offering. Without getting into a debate on the pro's and cons of what is a very good (IMO) service offering I was wondering if anyone could answer the following.

Will there be a fully functional stand alone character generator for my computer anytime in the future from WotC?
(my thinking is not)
If not & with the percieved limitations of the GSL will any third party be able to produce such a product for me to purchase in the future?
(again not looking possible)
If not - why not? (subjective thoughts appropriate here)

Please don't get me wrong here, I am not complaining at the DDI offering, it is just that I want a product for stand alone digital rpg'ing not a service in this regard. I may not be able to have one and as stated in the other thread that is unfortunate, but with the wonderfull add-ons that came along for the likes of NWN I thought/hoped this might be a clear advantage for the future of digital interface gaming.

My thanks for your thoughts in advance.

T.

p.s. This is not going to prevent me buying the books for 4e. it is a seperate issue.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
At one point they said you would be able to use the character generator offline but if you wanted current datasets you would have to subscribe. Now given how fluid everything still seems to be whether this will make the final cut I can't say.

Also given the past experience with their ability to produce a fully functioning character generator I am not holding high hopes that they will get it right (either functionally or on time).

As for a third party doing one that rests with the GSL which no-one but WotC lawyers has seen so far. Are third parties capable of doing one sure, will they be allowed to, that can't be answered yet.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
Talislan said:
Will there be a fully functional stand alone character generator for my computer anytime in the future from WotC?

According to what I have read from the D&D XP stuff, the character creator that comes with DDI *will* have an offline function, but that you would have to login to do the data updates.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Talislan said:
If not - why not? (subjective thoughts appropriate here)

I'd guess the key phrase here would be, "revenue stream".

I think it has become clear that RPGs are... at best dicey as a business. It is difficult to make a go of it, and get enough money coming in over time to support a game for long. The subscription model (most easily enforced as online applications) are an attempt to help keep that revenue stream flowing, such that the company does not have to look instead to other products to keep the cash coming in.

Talislan

First Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll keep my fingures crossed for some level of offline useability from the DDI.

Understanding Umbran's statement on revenue generation (which makes complete sense really) I still wonder if WotC are not missing a trick. Way I imagine it: if each physical PHB came with an individual registration code (like most pc games do) they could offer a download fascility (for a minimal additional charge) for a stand alone Character creator/visualizer. Then with each new book/upgrade/release a new code could be given for additional downloadable material (again at a minimal extra charge). This would give people an entirely optional but far less financially constrictive access to a very practical and useable tool set.

but hey, Cake and eating related I know, still its nice to dream. ;)

Thanks again. :cool:

mudbunny

Community Supporter
WotC thought about something like that (individual code) for unlocking access to the DDI versions of the book that you bought. In the end, the hassles of making sure that only the people who bought the books got the codes would have ended up being more trouble than it would be worth. Thus, for that part, they decided to split it up between subscribers and non-subscribers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads