DDI VT Beta thread

Blastin

First Post
just finished playing my first game on the table. Tobytad was kind enough to run a group of us through the pregen module Kalarel's return (or something like that).

We ran through with the pregen characters from the character builder, I played Croog, the death warpriest.

I was pretty impressed with the table. From a player's side, it seemed to work pretty well. The combats ran at about as long as some of the first games I played in. There were about 4/5 players that were on the table for the first time, so I don't think it was too bad.

Everything was pretty intuitive, especially considering that I have never played on any kind of virtual table. The toggles and controls all seems pretty well placed and easy to use/figure out. It can be used to keep track of encounter/daily power use, healing surges, action points, HP, temp HP, ect, but these were all manual toggles.

The dice roller is nice in that there is a dice button next to each power and skill that you just hit and it factors in many mods to the roll. It doesn't add flanking/combat advantage, or bonuses granted by another character, so you still have to remember those. The table also lets you lay down AoE templates for attacks, zones and auras.

So, for my first use of any kind of virtual table...I'm impressed, and could absolutely see using it again.

I really like the table. I think the ability to integrate from the CB helps immensely. Not having to use a separate program for sound is also huge in my opinion. There are still some issues with the table, and I'm anxious to see what improvements continue to be made.

Building the encounters and maps is a bit more troublesome. I'm currently building the 4e version of The Village of Hommlet, and I'm having a few problems setting it up, but nothing major.

One thing I did notice that is slightly annoying is that importing characters and monsters just gives a generic token. The only way to differentiate them is to change the auras of the token, or hover over the token to see the name. Does anyone know a way to change the token picture, even if its to one of the generic built-in pictures in the VTT?

When it's done (shouldn't be too much longer...probably Saturday), I'm quite willing to run the game for any who are interested.

Building the encounters and maps is a bit more troublesome. I'm currently building the 4e version of The Village of Hommlet, and I'm having a few problems setting it up, but nothing major.

One thing I did notice that is slightly annoying is that importing characters and monsters just gives a generic token. The only way to differentiate them is to change the auras of the token, or hover over the token to see the name. Does anyone know a way to change the token picture, even if its to one of the generic built-in pictures in the VTT?

When it's done (shouldn't be too much longer...probably Saturday), I'm quite willing to run the game for any who are interested.
There is a way to add a little more variety to the token. It is in fact one of the generic built in pictures in the VTT.

I don't know if it works for monsters or not, but as far as characters go to the PC character sheet, select "edit". Then right click the picture on the character sheet, I think it will say something like "change token" or something close to that. Then select one of those pictures that are on the VTT and then select "save" near the "edit" button.

That will change the character's token from the generic dragon image.

I don't really DM so I don't know about the monster tokens, but as I think about it in the adventures I've played they all were generic with numbers on them to differentiate for when there are more than one at a time.

Remove ads