• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDO is dead!

edge3343

First Post
Kanegrundar said:
The look of the game doesn't scream Eberron to me. If you take away the Warforged and the quest text, the game would look much like any other generic game running. Nothing in it made me think of the artwork from the Eberron CS. None of it.
I personally hate crap like levitating Inns and stuff. I just hate high magic worlds as a rule.

-SIN-

First Post
No, never played as a paladin, ever - only in pnp games.

I just think it would have been better if they'd either just gone down the 'Generic' setting path and just created a new setting 'on-the-fly', or done a better known, better loved and better respected setting, like greyhawk, darksun, FR, etc, etc...

Or they could have just added loads of lesbians. Either way, I'd be happy! ;D

Kanegrundar

Explorer
-SIN- said:
No, never played as a paladin, ever - only in pnp games.

I just think it would have been better if they'd either just gone down the 'Generic' setting path and just created a new setting 'on-the-fly', or done a better known, better loved and better respected setting, like greyhawk, darksun, FR, etc, etc...

Or they could have just added loads of lesbians. Either way, I'd be happy! ;D
Eberron has a large following as well, and to many gamers it didn't matter what setting the game is in as long as it was D&D at the core. Sure, it's the new kid on the block and it's not a setting for everyone, but it's what was chosen so there's no going back now.

My main gripe with DDO was *almost* everything was set in Stormreach. One of the things I enjoy most about MMO's is exploring the world. Just running around from instance to instance bored the hell out of me. If another D&D-based MMO ever comes out (which I'm sure there will be), I would like less of a reliance on instances, or at least let me travel across wide and varying lands to get to those instances.

ssampier

First Post
edge3343 said:
I personally hate crap like levitating Inns and stuff. I just hate high magic worlds as a rule.

Does Eberron even have floating inns? I don't have the CS book, obviously.

Return to your scheduled PC game duel.

GlassJaw

Hero
MarauderX said:
Who here has reached the level 14 level cap yet? Not me, not even close.

Got to level 14 with my cleric this weekend. Not capped yet though. The new module is AMAZING. Let me repeat - AMAZING.

I'll be the first to admit that it took Turbine a while to catch up with content but the stuff they are putting out is awesome. The new quests are great and their art design of the new areas is gorgeous. Plus, they are fixing a lot of the rules to bring them closer to PnP, which is great IMO.

MarauderX

Explorer
GlassJaw said:
I'll be the first to admit that it took Turbine a while to catch up with content but the stuff they are putting out is awesome.

This has been the ongoing theme, it seems. From gamers I meet that have quit did so ~6 months ago or more. (well before the X-mas adverts were out)

Good to hear about the new material too.

As for Eberron: I have an extreme dislike for the entire setting. Robots? Changelings? Shifters? Artificers? Dragonmarks? No thanks. I also have no like for high magic settings, magic shops on every street corner, and that by 2nd level you can have a +1 flaming greataxe. DDO is also missing a lot of what many players consider key for the game; missing classes and races from the setting take away from the 'completeness' of the Eberron setting, no matter how goofy Keith Baker's ideas are.
However the adventures are what I am in the game for, not the uberness of my character or what the game is lacking. I have fun with it whether my fighter has a 16 or 26 Str at 4th level. If my cleric's spell points are less than the bard's I could care less. We are running as a team, and if we happen to have a guy that thinks he is the Michael Jordan of the adventure, then that's his thing. I'm there for the quests.

Schmoe

Adventurer
This is an interesting thread. I was just trying to browse the DDO forums to get an idea of what the game is like, but they're down right now :\

I've been thinking about starting DDO. I just got WoW at the advice of some friends. It's fun, with a great character progression, amazingly expansive and varied world, and cool instances. The combat is fun and flashy with neat abilities, even for warriors. There's a large player base, enough to maintain an actual economy on the auction halls. It's also getting kind of boring. Quests are mostly solo. The vast majority of players have capped out at level 70, so trying to get a group at lower levels is difficult and frustrating. It feels like the only thing to do is try to level your character so that you can walk around without fear of being ganked at a moment's notice. People talking about "farming" the instances really turns me off.

So, how does DDO compare? How is the gameplay (combat, movement, grouping)? How is the world? How is character advancement?

-SIN-

First Post
It looks nice. Better than WoW IMO - WoW captured the LotR style colossal statues, massive waterfalls and alike, but everything came across to me a slightly cartoony. DDO looks crisp & clean. Armour looks fantastic... Better than WoW's 1980's style shoulderpads!...

Quests in DDO have 4 difficulties on average (Solo, Normal, Hard & Elite) allowing for re-playability, and each step is usually quite a significant one. Again, the quests range from quick ones that take only 2 minutes, to ones that'll keep you busy for at least an hour.

Combat. WoW doesn't have combat. You click a button and wait. I think a lot of WoW's success is due to it's combat system's compatibility with people - it's so easy it's, well like I said, pretty non-existant. DDO involves at least a little skill. Even catching those Kobold Shamans is tricky! You're having to move, swing & use spells, feats, skills and items at the same time. YOU actually feel as though you've done something, not just let the computer do it. (For those who defend WoW's combat -would you play a fighting game -Tekken say - if all you had to do is select your enemy and click 'attack'?

Levelling - DDO takes a long while to level. Each level has 5 sub levels. It CAN be a long process, depending on play-style & how much time you invest. I believe WoW was easier to level in - actually I know it was. It took less than a few days to rank up to level 6... My highest level DDO character is level 6 now. I have had the game since release - AND hated it. I literally got bored about a month ago and gave it another go - and was shocked my how much it has improved!!

DDO's downside it grouping - and for me, stormreach's layout. Travelling from area to area can be quite a mission, the city is a maze and is easy to get lost in - and due to this you can have a 15 minute wait on your hands before everyone gets to the mission. There also seems to be lots of high & low level players about, but few mid. If you want to be popular - make a cleric... There is a lack of them, and a party heavily relies on one.

HUD is simple enough. Auction house I only buy from, not sell - I'm lazy! Farming doesn't really exist that much in DDO, not to the extent of WoW anyway. DDO is a lot more based on the fact you're AN ADVENTURER, NOT A CRAFTSMAN!

I think DDO has a much more solid foundation (from the PnP) as well as a lot more options available in the future. Remember WoW was based of a basic pc game (how many different classes/unit types? - compaired to D&D's 'OFFICIAL' 170 something classes and thousands of monsters! DDO is based on a very indepth & detailed game with hundreds of rules, feats, skills, magics etc, etc. So in theory, if they got it all balanced and all included, it'd be truely a mind-blowing game. But until then, we'll have to wait!

Last edited:

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Comparing DDO to WoW is like comparing apples to oranges. Sure they're both fruit, but they give totally different experiences in terms of taste.

TogaMario

First Post
You may not be able to compare WoW to DDO directly, but you can certainly tell the spots in DDO's design that don't make for good gaming as a general rule (that WoW got right, consequently, so I suppose it's just easiest to compare it like that) The level and achievment scaling is one thing that annoyed me highly. Dungeons and Dragons PnP leveling system doesn't scale well to MMOs because people are used to having a few levels fairly quickly, regardless of how long it might take them to reach "the top". While it works for the pace of a typical DnD PnP, the players don't have to wait for their round, roll dice, or wait for the DMs descriptions and other tasks.

I don't like the cheesy idea of flaming uber swords, but I would expect a lot more variety and individuality from what should be a diverse world. I guess that's why they're adding the content now, but I just hate that I was turned off to the whole game before they did it.

Remove ads