DDXP 2010 News and Updates

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Anyone else noticing a major lack of 4E books post GenCon? I mean there's the Rules Compendium and there's the Human book, but ... that sounds like it. Essentials sounds like a stand alone game, based on 4E, but still not 4E. And Gamma World is stated to be stand alone. Then there's board games. Anyone else noticing this or am I not making a connection?

Edit: Nevermind. RT CriticalHits "allaying fears" - not abandoning core d&d line. 10 products in essentials then back to core. Problem was workload. "unusual cycle"

Nai_Calus

First Post
Overall I'm kind of disappointed. Most of it's pitched towards new players past the books we already knew about, most of which I'm not interested. Was hoping we'd hear news of an AP2 or a DP2 or a Feywild book or something.

Also, it's time to learn to paint apparently. True, PHH hasn't had a single mini I needed yet, but there was hope. I hate blind minis, and knowing them, all the PC-workable minis will be the new VR rarity. :p And with the new pricing, I already don't like blind selection, not interested, and buying singles online is a hassle. I hate buying online even if it saves some money.

Yay boxed sets though. They make me happy even if I don't need them. I love boxed sets.

Though yeah, back to stuff my current characters might be able to someday use in 2011 prz? :<

I shudder to think that I have to rely solely on DDI for character support until 2011 at least, as much as the last couple of Dragon issues have underwhelmed me.

deadsmurf

First Post
I am still trying to figure out if Essentials/RedBox is a 4e-lite or not. And whether it's valuable for more "advanced" 4e players.

From what I understand, the essentials line is going to have some new builds/powers/feats etc for existing classes. I would have to assume that those features will be on par with normal power levels of the classes, but with simpler mechanics.
I mean look at the classes they've chosen to focus on, for example a Paladin rather than Fighter, which has a much simpler marking mechanic, and is easier to play, but still (more or less) about the same power level.
I think it's going to be a pretty 'dry' year for us 'advanced' players, but we'll still get a good boost of new stuff when DDI updates each month.

coyote6

Adventurer
Anyone else noticing a major lack of 4E books post GenCon? I mean there's the Rules Compendium and there's the Human book, but ... that sounds like it. Essentials sounds like a stand alone game, based on 4E, but still not 4E. And Gamma World is stated to be stand alone. Then there's board games. Anyone else noticing this or am I not making a connection?

Edit: Nevermind. RT CriticalHits "allaying fears" - not abandoning core d&d line. 10 products in essentials then back to core. Problem was workload. "unusual cycle"

There is at least one Gamma World followup, a boxed adventure set in December. So maybe they have more planned for it, and/or other new games/"genre settings"?

(I won't mention That Which Must Not Be Named :D )

Rechan

Adventurer
I am still trying to figure out if Essentials/RedBox is a 4e-lite or not. And whether it's valuable for more "advanced" 4e players.
Considering that they are introing new builds and such, I think so.

All I will say is that I hope that stuff will be in the Character Builder/Compendium. I don't want to buy that stuff. But I am addicted to new builds.

Equally so for the DM box stuff. I game online pretty exclusively, so tiles/tokens have no use for me. But if there are new monsters... Grr.

Squizzle

First Post
Gamma World! Board games! Dark Sun! Psionics! Humans book! This is the year they made especially for me. All of the rest of you can have your years later.

Rechan

Adventurer
From what I understand, the essentials line is going to have some new builds/powers/feats etc for existing classes. I would have to assume that those features will be on par with normal power levels of the classes, but with simpler mechanics.
I mean look at the classes they've chosen to focus on, for example a Paladin rather than Fighter, which has a much simpler marking mechanic, and is easier to play, but still (more or less) about the same power level.
Um...

Player Essentials in September - Continues on from The Red Box. Covers classic character classes, fighter, cleric, wizard, rogue, ranger

The one with paladin/druid/etc comes after this - October at least.

deadsmurf

First Post
Overall I'm kind of disappointed. Most of it's pitched towards new players past the books we already knew about, most of which I'm not interested. Was hoping we'd hear news of an AP2 or a DP2 or a Feywild book or something.

Also, it's time to learn to paint apparently. True, PHH hasn't had a single mini I needed yet, but there was hope. I hate blind minis, and knowing them, all the PC-workable minis will be the new VR rarity. :p And with the new pricing, I already don't like blind selection, not interested, and buying singles online is a hassle. I hate buying online even if it saves some money.

Yay boxed sets though. They make me happy even if I don't need them. I love boxed sets.

Though yeah, back to stuff my current characters might be able to someday use in 2011 prz? :<

I shudder to think that I have to rely solely on DDI for character support until 2011 at least, as much as the last couple of Dragon issues have underwhelmed me.

I would think an AP2 and a DP2 are likely early next year, and we are getting new material for some of the original classes (plus druid) in the two player essential books.
I like than PC minis are back to being in the main set (in some ways) because I primarily DM, I wasn't going to buy a PHBM set. I hope for the increase in price again the paint quality goes back up again, at least to say, Deserts of Desolation levels. Aberrations level would nice, but I would be happy with anything really if they get rid of those really awful matte cartoony/thick colours they've been using on some minis.

Remove ads