DDXP Begins Today!

quindia

First Post
I don't think most people are against the existence of warforged and tiefling in the game - personally I just rather not see them as core in the first three books.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The wizards one is also live (though too many comments from the peanut gallary)

This was interesting:

Monte: To start with we kind of shot at the moon, and said everything that's been in a Player's handbook 1, we want to potentially have in our new player's book. That includes things like the warlock and the warlord from 4th edition, but also includes the classes from other editions like the ranger, the wizard, the cleric.

12:48
Monte: Going along those lines we seperated things along the lines of what's common or uncommon. So for example fighters, clerics, wizards and clerics might be commmon while warlocks fall into uncommon and something like the assassin might be rare. This helps DMs determine what options they want to run in there games as well.

Wormwood

Adventurer
I like the idea of using the fighter as the baseline.

Bruce: We definitely want the classes to be balanced, though having things exactly mathematically balanced isn't always the goal. Different classes or different play styles will shine at different moments, though of course we want everyone to be able to contribute in the common situations like combat.

Bruce: If the fighter is 100% damage for example, then maybe this other class is 80% damage/combat and 20% exploration, or some other mix of game elements.

ps. Good to hear some love for the (4e) Warlock and Assassin. Fingers crossed.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Monte: I know it's a bit contreversial, but I think Vancian magic is a core element of D&D. Maybe it's not the only option for magic, but it's definitely an iconic and flavorful one that I would like to retain. It's also an interesting way to handle game balance. For example wizards have magical feats that are basically at will abilities. Balancing them with vancian magic which are essentially daily abilities is an interesting way to go, especially when comparing to the fighter and rogue who have more of an at-will style play. It offers a very different playstyle than those other classes, but those different playstyles are something we want to embrace.

Greg: Those at-will type of attacks are things that have come to D&D with 4th. How are you guys integrating that in the next iteration.

Bruce: As monte mentioned, you have those feats that give you at-will style attacks, and some spell or class options will give you at will kind of attacks.

I hate Vancian/daily spells, but this sounds like a reasonable approach. Nice.

edit: Oh yeah, feats are in.

Last edited:

The fans have got to do the rest, so if you want to see a successful D&D game going forward we will all have to look real hard at ourselves and decide to be inclusive and not exclusive.

I already have a successful D&D game going forward, it's called Pathfinder. I'll only change that if I see an opportunity for a better D&D. Sorry if that makes you upset, but my concept of a "better D&D" has a lot to do with what stays in the implied setting, and if I'm ever going to DM this edition, I want dragonborns to stay confined to books like 3E Races of the Dragon. The same goes for shifters, warforgeds, genasi and other equally "creative" options.

Cheers,

I already have a successful D&D game going forward, it's called Pathfinder. I'll only change that if I see an opportunity for a better D&D. Sorry if that makes you upset, but my concept of a "better D&D" has a lot to do with what stays in the implied setting, and if I'm ever going to DM this edition, I want dragonborns to stay confined to books like 3E Races of the Dragon. The same goes for shifters, warforgeds, genasi and other equally "creative" options.

Cheers,

My group is currently playing Pathfinder, our DM loves it. I am the only one at the table that wants the game to be a better D&D. None of the other guys are checking the forums about the 5e news. So it seems 5e will only get to them through me if it presents options to improve D&D. I'm a huge Eberron fan, when I was DM, that was my world... hence Shifters and Warforged stay in Eberron should I ever run a different setting (prob not).

Brock

Remove ads