DDXP Begins Today!

look how the goblins don´t stand on a single square...
it seems as if it is just used to illustrate the battle...
battlemap as an option is important. But not as default!

thedungeondelver

Adventurer

First of all, let me just say this about that: B2 KEEP ON THE BORDERLANDS? Cool. Very, very cool. While those sheets are impossible to read, I also don't see a lot of clutter on them so it could be that the base game is yes indeed a very streamlined and easy-to-snap-onto form factor. Looking forward to more info.

Now, regarding minis...

I don't not want minis. I have two dozen DWARVEN FORGE sets, some 500 plastic minis and 300 metal (about 1/5th of which are painted).

I like me some miniatures and terrain as an AD&D player, however...

Insofar as DWARVEN FORGE is very subtly carved into grids, I do not use a gridded combat system. Most miniatures are "heroic" 28mm scale, which is to say they are 32-35mm. Even WIZARDS OF THE COAST's miniatures feature a 1" round base. This means that two man-sized figures can just stand in a corridor of DWARVEN FORGE, which I want to represent the average 10' (2") dungeon hall. Scale combat rules for AD&D dictate that three man-sized figures can fight abreast in a hall, four smaller humanoids or demi-humans can (gnome/halfling/kobold/goblin etc.) and so on. Current miniatures don't afford me the room to do that. Thus, miniatures (and terrain) are for general placement only when it comes to the figures themselves. Spell areas of effect I hew more closely to the rules on, noting that just because a group of figures may be crammed in at odd angles on the terrain, that does not mean that they are not as they claimed they were - woebetide the low-level, closely grouped party that encounters an enemy magic-user with a sleep spell (or indeed is incautious with their own)!

What irks me is not the miniatures and frankly I boggle at my fellow AD&D fans who are dismissive of them; no, what gets under my skin is the insistence on them, and the ridiculous (and I mean that literally: it is, should be and has been rightly the target of ridicule) "gridding" rules that accompany later miniature play!

Were we playing at Roundheads and Cavaliers, or the desperate struggle of a fire-team in the jungles of Southeast Asia, or an arbitrary but agreed-upon set of rules for fantastical future conflict mapped on a sand table or foam terrain out-of-doors, yes, then precise measurements should be the rule of the day! But insofar as Redoleent the Fighter's plastic avatar can't be wedged in between Gutboy Barrelhouse, the expertly painted REAPER MINIATURES dwarf and the chess-piece representing the cleric, I think some room for abstraction is in order, and not forcing a grid-only, miniatures-not-optional rule gives we DMs (and players!) the breathing room we need, yes?

kitsune9

Adventurer
I'm betting the new edition retains the d20 ascending AC system, I can't see them ever going back to descending, so conversion of 1E materials could be something as simple as inverting the old descending ACs to make them ascending (old AC7 becomes AC13, etc.) and a few other minor rules issues that can be handled on the fly during the game. If that's the case, WOTC would be smart to put out the older edition materials as PDF or POD again and have an instant back library of product available for the new rules when they are released (or better yet, when they release the playtest!)

I'm totally down with that and agree with you 104%.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Heh, based on the tweets it sounds like ascending bonuses will be demphasized in favor of giving classes more interesting things to do. And the orc is relevant at more levels right out of the monster manual.

Sounds exactly like my treatise on no ascending bonuses. :)

Yeah baby! :)

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Ooh, and Mearls and Cook talked about the Fighter having the "Noble" package to give them social skills! :)

Its like they read my mind on some of this stuff when designing 5e. ;)

And to be fair, a lot of other's players minds as well. :)

Remove ads