• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDXP Liveblogging

Klaus

First Post
Is that a selling point? To me it came across as very niche.
I see this as something like what was done in MM2 and MM3, where you have, say, Demogorgon, Imix or Ogremoch, and then you had their lower-level cultists. But instead of focusing on a single epic entity, the "cultists" would be built around the organization's creed.

Shadowslayer

Explorer
I see this as something like what was done in MM2 and MM3, where you have, say, Demogorgon, Imix or Ogremoch, and then you had their lower-level cultists. But instead of focusing on a single epic entity, the "cultists" would be built around the organization's creed.

Thats kind of what I got from it too. Here's the Cult of the Moonbeam and what they're all about. Heres a Moonbeam Minion, a Moonbeam Reaver, a Moonbeam Cultist, a Moonbeam Warlock, and Shrike, the 9th level Moonbeam BladeChief.

Use as is, or if you play in FR, replace the word Moonbeam with the word Zhentarim...and off you go. (or whatever)

martincwday

First Post
Quick summary: I'm sad to see WotC continuing to turn away from books, printed adventures (and miniatures) in favour of toys, cards and tokens, but each to their own. Upshot is unless Dungeon gets a kick up the backside I can't see me spending any money this year, apart from possibly picking up Gardmore Abbey.

Gutted beyond words the Ravenloft RPG is being cancelled/put on hold - that was the single D&D item I was most looking forward to this year. Still, as they used to say in the old movies, perhaps it's not dead, just resting...

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I liked Castle Ravenloft, I expect to like Ashardalon. Legend of Drizzt would have been great when I was 15. Not so much now, but hey, it's popular so more power to 'em if they want to release that.

Slightly interested in...
Wrath of Ashardalon board game

Not interested in...
Legend of Drizzt board game

Slightly interested in...
  • Wrath of Ashardalon board game

Not interested in...
  • Legend of Drizzt board game
Wrath of Ashardalon and Legend of Drizzt are compatible. You can mix them together.

If you liked Castle Ravenloft or are slightly interested in Wrath of Ashardalon, and the Legend of Drizzt is compatable with (and I assume similar to) Wrath of Ashardalon, why not as much interest in Legend of Drizzt?

I can understand not liking Drizzt, I can't stand some popular characters. But I really enjoy Castle Ravenloft, expect to enjoy Wrath of Ashardalon, and if they come out with a compatible Adventures of Wolverine and Jack Bauer game, I'd certainly be interested in it.

(And hopefully I'm not coming off as patronizing. It's fine not to like it but it seems like you could be missing a game that you might enjoy.)

hexgrid

Explorer
I wanted a definitive statement about what we can expect for new material on DDI, especially as it relates to the material from the cancelled books. That didn't really happen; just more maybes and would-like-to statements. The closest thing to a definitive statement was in regards to magic items, which I understand a lot of people want, but I was interested more in all the other stuff from the cut books (core Themes, Essentials multiclassing & power swapping, etc).

I think they've learned their lesson about making definitive statements regarding DDI.

Dausuul

Legend
Gutted beyond words the Ravenloft RPG is being cancelled/put on hold - that was the single D&D item I was most looking forward to this year. Still, as they used to say in the old movies, perhaps it's not dead, just resting...

Look, matey, I know a dead D&D product when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

MrMyth

First Post
Yep, with a side of "push folks toward the DDI."

I'm also seeing a lot more focus on flavor over mechanics. Heroes books built around concept (Shadow, Feywild) rather than power source.

It also seems a much lighter schedule in general - I get the sense they have decided to only publish what they are confident will really sell, and are avoiding any books that would have mixed success.

Nonetheless, I'm very sad to see Champions of the Heroic Tier vanish, and Ravenloft pushed back. Though I guess Heroes of Shadow and the Shadowfell Boxed Set will cover many similar elements, at least.

Dear Wizards, I no longer have a clue what you're doing.

On the bright side, my hobby just got less expensive compared to last year. Yay for Heroes of the Feywild.

Boo for vaporizing canceling 4 products I wanted to buy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads