• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dead Devas

CapnZapp

Legend
The fluff for Devas states that as soon as they die, they are reborn somewhere else, as essentially a new person with only dim memories of their previous life (lives). But what does that mean, crunch-wise?
Nothing.

There's even crunch defining fluff as what it is: not crunch.

In other words, there's an actual rule saying descriptive material aren't part of the rules, and where ever there is a conflict, the rules take precedence. So, because Raise Dead doesn't mention any Deva-related exceptions, there simply aren't any.

Byronic

First Post
So how long is an eek? Some mouse-related measure of time? :)

Actually since time and space don't work in the Feywild as it does in the normal world they have different ways of measuring time. An eek is a time unit roughly analogous to a week on the prime material plane. the difference is that it is altered by a "subjective time factor" which is determined by the narrative laws of the Feywild (which are the Feywild version of the laws of physics).

For example a journey to aid a far off city who is being besieged by leperous cockatrices and cankerous basilisks might take a few eeks. This would be seen as a 6 week travel by the party, arriving just at the height of the siege. Their return trip on the other hand will only be about 3 days and will arrive just in time to participate in the latest plot by the Eladrin Seneschal.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Storminator

First Post
I love the idea that narrative laws define the Feywild.

Eddie Valiant: "Are you telling me you could have got out of those cuffs at any time?!"

Roger: "Not at any time... only when it was funny."

PS

-Avalon-

First Post
I was thinking the Deva Thing would work kinda like the resurrection of Spock...

Deva dies in the battle, if the players don't get a raise dead for the deva within a week or so, the body decays into dust/ash and the life force energy arcs out of sight, back to some sacred place (this is very un-spock-like)

When the players finally hunt down where the Deva's soul has gone, they find him just getting up off of the slab, and kinda shaky, not sure who they are or where they are... and more than a lil fuzzy on who the party is at first... it may take some time to jog the memory...

That is what I see...

An eek is 1/20th of an ook, which is best described as an orangatan minute. Not -quite- the same, but close enough for beans.
For some reason I already gave you XP and am not allowed to do it again. Well, more XP for Byronic then. ;)

Mustrum "Off course, someone might cover for me *HINT HINT*" Ridcully

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
I actually think that this is a case of 'it works as it does for a Human PC, and the meta-physical game aspects are left for the DM to explain'. Unless you and your players get some level of enjoyment from having deva's that are not entirely compatible with Raise Dead, why worry about it?

If you want an explanation for why it does work, who says that the reincarnation is instantaneous. Perhaps the Deva spends some time kicking around the afterlife staring at its spiritual navel lint until it chooses to reincarnate. If the Deva's conciousness has reason to think that it may be raised, it can probably choose to wait a while.

END COMMUNICATION

Storminator

First Post
If you want an explanation for why it does work, who says that the reincarnation is instantaneous. Perhaps the Deva spends some time kicking around the afterlife staring at its spiritual navel lint until it chooses to reincarnate. If the Deva's conciousness has reason to think that it may be raised, it can probably choose to wait a while.

END COMMUNICATION

Who's to say time is the same for the Deva's spirit as it is for his companions? Perhaps in that time before you raise him, he's been reincarnated elsewhere/elsewhen, lived an entire lifetime, died, and was just reincarnated into his old body?!?

PS

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads