Dead Dragon

darth xanthor

First Post
Hi,

I'm kinda new here, but I need some help.

My part just killed an Young adult large Black Dragon.

Now they want to strip it down and make stuff out of it.

What can they make?

where would look to find this stuff out?? (Specific Rule Books, Dragon/Dungeon mag. etc etc )

These are the ideas so far

-> Black Dragon armour
-> Black Dragon Helm
-> Poison from the Acid
-> Daggers from the claws/teeth

Anything Else?

Thank in Advance

Velgost

First Post
Hey you can check the Draconomicon (sp?) for ideas on what the group can salvage. If you can get your hands on the 2e Draconomicon (sp?) it'll give ya even more ideas. I can't recall the Dragon issue that handled it, but they did have an issue that dealt with it.

frankthedm

First Post
Dragonhide: Armorsmiths can work with the hides of dragons to produce armor or shields of masterwork quality. One dragon produces enough hide for a single suit of masterwork hide armor for a creature one size category smaller than the dragon. By selecting only choice scales and bits of hide, an armorsmith can produce one suit of masterwork banded mail for a creature two sizes smaller, one suit of masterwork half-plate for a creature three sizes smaller, or one masterwork breastplate or suit of full plate for a creature four sizes smaller. In each case, enough hide is available to produce a small or large masterwork shield in addition to the armor, provided that the dragon is Large or larger.

Because dragonhide armor isn’t made of metal, druids can wear it without penalty.

Dragonhide armor costs double what masterwork armor of that type ordinarily costs, but it takes no longer to make than ordinary armor of that type.

Dragonhide has 10 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 10.

Legildur

First Post
<edit: beaten to the punch AGAIN!>

From the SRD:

Dragonhide
Armorsmiths can work with the hides of dragons to produce armor or shields of masterwork quality.
I'm sure that there is more information somewhere that tells you the type of armor that can be made a dragon's hide based on the dragon's size. Ahaaa! Here it is:

Dragonhide
Armorsmiths can work with the hides of dragons to produce armor or shields of masterwork quality. One dragon produces enough hide for a single suit of masterwork hide armor for a creature one size category smaller than the dragon. By selecting only choice scales and bits of hide, an armorsmith can produce one suit of masterwork banded mail for a creature two sizes smaller, one suit of masterwork half-plate for a creature three sizes smaller, or one masterwork breastplate or suit of full plate for a creature four sizes smaller. In each case, enough hide is available to produce a small or large masterwork shield in addition to the armor, provided that the dragon is Large or larger.

Because dragonhide armor isn’t made of metal, druids can wear it without penalty.

Dragonhide armor costs double what masterwork armor of that type ordinarily costs, but it takes no longer to make than ordinary armor of that type.

Dragonhide has 10 hit points per inch of thickness and hardness 10.
I don't recall seeing anything in the rules about other items or uses of dragon parts.

Last edited:

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I'd say that if they don't want to make armor they could make 1 shield at Small, 2 at Medium, etc etc.

My character had a helm and pauldrons made out of the choicer bits from a dragon we killed ... no in-game benefit, but it adds to the aura of menace when he kicks down a door and says: "I'm here for YOU ..." and I might get it enchanted at some point.

I would say any weapons made of dragon teeth or fangs would be weaker than normal unless made magical, but, I'd offer a 10-15% discount on enchantments that tie in to the dragon.

It's not entirely outside of the rules ... the DMGII presents a few special materials that offer a small in-game bonus and a discount on specific thematic enchantments.

I'd say that black dragon teeth or fangs would offer a 15% discount when crafting a Caustic Dagger or parts of it offer a discount when making potions of Water Breathing.

I did this with a game I ran, where the players had alot of fun crafting magical items linked to special components ... they killed a giant advanced Dire Badger and were goint to make some Vests of Health (Con +2) from the fur.

--fje

Seffbasilisk

First Post
They can't use the acid as a poison, it would corrode whatever they had it on. If they have good enough vials they can get flasks of acid out of it, but not too many.

I usually rule that dragon-teeth or claws can be made into a necklace with a Craft: Ornamentation check of a DC of about 10 or 15. I rule it gives a +2 on intimidate checks and all dragons encountering the wearer are automatically 1 step worse opinioned of the character.

was

Adventurer
gloves that are resistant/immune to acids could have interesting applications for rogue or wizard types

xmanii

Explorer
I remember a very old Dragon magazine with rules made up for dragon teeth sprouting warriors, when the teeth are flung to the ground.
Couldn't tell you which one, off the top of my head.

Remove ads