Dead Gods - your experiences?

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Seventh thread of a series on the younger classic Dungeons & Dragons adventure modules. It is interesting to see how everyone's experiences compared and differed.

Dead Gods
TSR2631_360.jpeg

Synopsis: Building upon plot threads from several previous Planescape products, Dead Gods sees the PCs drawn into an epic quest to uncover the secrets behind the return of an infamous AD&D villain long thought dead. And, as if that were not bad enough, the city of Sigil threatens to explode in a faction war for control of an old church and a mysterious force lurking within it...

Did you Play or DM this adventure (or both, as some did)? What were your experiences? Did you complete it? What were the highlights for your group?

(With thanks and a tip of the hat to Quasqueton for his ground-breaking series of classic adventure discussions.)

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
There are moments of pure genius in it. I love this adventure, but I've just pillaged it for parts and inspiration. My suspicion is that it's a little too story-driven for my game nowadays.

Psion

Adventurer
Yet another adventure I always wanted to play but never got the chance to. I did make use of part of the material on Yggdrassil.

Perhaps after my RttToH PbP concludes, I should take steps to remedy that as well. But before I'd do that, I'd have to come up with some faction rules that work for me... because the 3e faction PrCs DO NOT work for me.

I'd be interested to hear how anyone who ran this under 3e handled the visages.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Graf said:
Only two people?
I haven't played this one myself yet (should get around to it later this year, hopefully...) but I've heard lots of good things about it so figured it might raise some interest from PS fans. Ho hum.

Ooh, look! Tumbleweed!

:D

diaglo

Adventurer
combine PKitty and Psion and you got me.

never played this one. but i pillaged parts of it for future use in my campaign.

it is a bit too story driven.

Garboshnik

First Post
Currently running it (with additional adventures scattered throughout). I've noticed the following:

- There are major fluctuations in difficulty among the adventures as written. A straight conversion of the monsters to 3E is not an option.

- How you adjudicate the Visage illusion ability is pretty important. They otherwise can't do the party any real harm if someone makes the save vs. dominate but the module keeps on using them as enemies.

- Make sure your players like investigative work. There are a few adventures that focus almost solely on that.

Highlights have been some uses of the visages' illusion ability and the party acquiring an eternal hatred of the town of Crux.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Never run it, but I've gleefully pillaged it for details on Tchian-Sumere, Ranais, background for Moil, speculation on the nature of the pre-Eladrin natives of Arborea, etc.

My players did not have a good experience with Visages. ;)

Atavar

First Post
I DM'ed the whole module with three PC's. We all had a lot of fun. Here are two of the memorable highlights (although my memory's a bit fuzzy on the details):

1. During their time on Yggdrasil the party meets some smart squirrels (ratatosk?) that are drunk on tree sap. For some reason that entire concept was a source of much humor for my group.

2. The party finds a little lost modron that was separated from the Modron March and decides to let it tag along. During the climatic battle in Crux one of the party members noticed that the modron is just standing there and not helping. He asks the modron, "Why aren't you helping us fight the demons?" The modron replies, "What demons?" The slow realization on my player's face that the fight was an illusion and that the modron was immune to the illusions was priceless.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Atavar

Remove ads