Dead Rising Encounter too tough

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Man, I knew it was going to be way too hard, so I had Torrent come back early from her investigations so she was there before the encounter occurred. Even with her, it was an almost TPK.

This would be a tough encounter for 1st-level groups without having just come from a very tough encounter (White Wyrm Band), but stacking on top of it is just... whoa.

I also think the XP budget is askew. 200xp for those boneshard skellies is a bit low given their damage output.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
sounds like you put a good scare into 'em

Oh definitely.

I had a blast. The players were all, "This encounter is too tough, we want our money back!" though :D

And to be fair, it is insanely difficult. Four mobs 4 levels higher than the party.

Although, I did some research and the module text is wrong. It says the boneshard explosion is 3d6+4 whereas the compendium says it's 2d6+3. That and their damage output is 1d4/1d8 not 1d8/1d10.

Sepp

Villager
sounds like you put a good scare into 'em

As one of the players, I have to disagree with that. It merely illustrated why encounters PCs are supposed to run from are a problem. There was no fear, merely frustration.

When an At Will attack can take out 1/3 the health of the leader, and has an ongoing damage component, tactical retreat is an unlikely option, due to the number of OAs it will provoke. Likewise, defeating our opponents means we take massive damage. Boneshard Burst was doing 1/2 the total HP of the paladin tank, and slightly more then that on the artificer.

The encounter needs to be rethought, unless the entire party is ranged and can safely stay out of the room. Moving in to engage the foes effectively traps those that do, unless they are willing to sacrifice a PC. And that's no fun for anyone.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Kzach has it right - the correct figures are as he described. We really should put out an errated version of that one.

Sepp

Villager
And, I mentioned frustration earlier. I want to be clear that wasn't at the DM, I think he handled it well. And so far WOTBS has been a blast, one of the most immersive games I've been in.

But things like this should be errata'd.

Remove ads