• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deadlands-The Savage West

Express

First Post
The sheriff of Oil Springs was an old cuss, with a a lazy drawl and and equally lazy demeanor. "Yep, we'd pay a posse the bounty of a hundred dollars for each of the brothers. Y'all interested? I only ask cuz them four Calloways a wild bunch. Been whoopin it up all over East Texas- murder, arson, rustlin. Bad seeds all of em."

"What's that? Where would they be? That's easy. They hole up near an abandoned oil derrick bout 10 miles south o town. Place supposed to be haunted, but no one goes there cuz the Calloways favor that place."

"So listen stranger, we'll pay that bounty for um- dead or alive. Only rather we'd like the gang dead.It saves on the feeding of um while thay wait their hangings..."

Id like to run a Deadlands game - a one shot for now. However, Id like to use the Savage Worlds rules.I know that many may not be familiar with it, but we can get by with sample test drive rules (see below). It works quite well especially for this setting (given the system was created by Deadlands creator) and the lite fast resolution would work great for a PbP game. Given that most are not familiar with the setting or have the rules, Id also like to use some pre gen characters (more about that below.)

The revised test drive rules can be found here: http://www.peginc.com/Games/Savage Worlds/Downloads/SW Rev/TestDrive4.pdf

Heavy background with Deadlands isnt necessary. Its a horror-weird west setting. Its conversion for Savage Worlds is here: http://www.dragonsfoot.org/php/archive.php3?sectioninit=SW&fileid=106&watchfile=

To further simplify things Id like to use the sample novice characters in the Deadlands pdf. Please choose one from the following:

Brave, Buffalo Gal, Gunslinger, Huckster, Mad Scientist, Muckraker, Preacher, Shaman.

Id like at least four players. If we get more thats cool. Ill keep this open till Jan.6 for people to choose a character and get a background up.

Thanks

Last edited:

D20Dazza

Explorer
G'day,

I'd be interested in having a crak at this. I have SW and a lot of the D20 Deadlands stuff and have not used any of it. I'd need to refamiliarise myself with the rules though, I've only read SW once and that was probably close to a year ago. I think this would be a good way of seeing how the system plays out in the PbP environment while also having the opportunity to discover how the rules play out in general. Perhaps if this works we could then do something with our own characters?

As to PCs, I'll put in a bid for the Muckracker.

Wyle Hellstrum was born in Texas. He used to love sitting around the fire with his daddy's slaves and listening to stories of voodoo and even darker topics. He learnt all about oppression from those slaves. All about injustice and how hard life could be. He also gained a thirst for a good story, and sometimes even the truth. He has recently discovered that his uncle was brutally murdered. He has vowed to track down the killers and, through exhaustive investigations, has been able to link his uncles murder to the Calloway Brothers.

Muckraker
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Skills: Guts d6, Investigation d6, Knowledge (Occult) d6, Notice d6, Persuasion d6, Stealth d6, Streetwise d8
Charisma: +2; Pace: 6; Parry: 4; Toughness: 5
Hindrances: Curious, Pacifist (Minor), Stubborn
Edges: Charismatic, Investigator
Gear: Pad and paper, Navy pistol, box of 50 shells, $236.
Personality: Tell me everything you can remember, but hurry. I’ve got to telegraph my story to the Epitaph by morning to make the Sunday edition. That pays the best, you know. Do you mind if I take a picture of the thing you killed? Good. A picture really does say a thousand words. Now I’ve just got to get the Sheriff to help us get the rest of these
things. Could you come with me? I’ve been bugging him all week, and I’m afraid he’s getting a little annoyed. He even threw me in jail last night! Said my yammering was “disturbing the peace!”
Hah! Disturbing the peace, indeed. If he’d only wake up and realize what’s going on around here, guys like me and you wouldn’t have to do all the dirty work.
Quote: “Let’s check it out. I smell a story!”

Cheers

Daz

Last edited:

Boddynock

First Post
Hi!

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring for this one. I've got some of the Deadlands stuff, but have only skimmed it. I don't know Savage World at all, but your post indicated this wouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't mind trying a Huckster. I'll dig out my stuff and put together a character as soon as I can.

Boddynock

Dayspire

Explorer
Oooh, count me in. I've long been a fan of Deadlands, and ran a rather successful game of it a few years back. That said, I do *not* know the Savage Worlds rules - but you seem ok with that. If you don't mind worrying about the mechanics and what not, I'll fill in the roleplaying. :)

I'd like to volunteer for the Gunslinger, and I'll write up a brief summary later today.

Express

First Post
Cool! I was afraid a non d20 game would get short shrift. Glad to see some interest. You three definately have a place, so we only really need one more.

Ill post a few more things not in the test drive rules that might be pertinent to you as players. For all you Deadlands vets the conversion does show the Savage World version of grit, harrowed etc.

I'd recommend a perusal of the test drive rules. Its a short read. And if you are familiar with d20, itll be a breeze. SW is rules lite, and ability and skill based. It does western and pulp pretty good.

Anyway, since there is so much Deadlands stuff out there, I wont delve too much into "canon" or metaplot stuff. It is December, 1876 in eastern Texas (in the vacinity of Nacogdoches). The Civil War goes on in the east, The Reckoning has forever changed the west, and people seek adventure to save the world or just get rich.

Ill leave it to you each how you came to be in the posse, or if you know each other.

Theres a Deadlands wiki for anyone else coming in unfamiliar with the setting : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadlands

And Ill attach a map of Deadlands USA.

Attachments

• usmap.jpg
    usmap.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 3,066
Last edited:

Express

First Post
D20Dazza said:
G'day,

I'd be interested in having a crak at this. I have SW and a lot of the D20 Deadlands stuff and have not used any of it. I'd need to refamiliarise myself with the rules though, I've only read SW once and that was probably close to a year ago. I think this would be a good way of seeing how the system plays out in the PbP environment while also having the opportunity to discover how the rules play out in general. Perhaps if this works we could then do something with our own characters?

Daz

Ive been wanting to try out SW in PbP too, but could never get any interest. The relatively quick combat resolution should be a plus.

As for other things I'd love to do more Deadlands stuff once Deadlands Reloaded comes out, or 50 Fathoms, the Savage Worlds fantasy pirate setting, which is tons of fun.

D20Dazza

Explorer
Express said:
Ive been wanting to try out SW in PbP too, but could never get any interest. The relatively quick combat resolution should be a plus.

As for other things I'd love to do more Deadlands stuff once Deadlands Reloaded comes out, or 50 Fathoms, the Savage Worlds fantasy pirate setting, which is tons of fun.
I've been keen to pickup 50 fathoms but haven't had any reason to - you may have just provided the reason ;)

Express

First Post
D20Dazza said:
G'day,

I'd be interested in having a crak at this. I have SW and a lot of the D20 Deadlands stuff and have not used any of it. I'd need to refamiliarise myself with the rules though, I've only read SW once and that was probably close to a year ago.

Daz

For what its worth, theres a revised rules out, which Im using. The differences between the original and revised are very slight. It was mostly in the way or erratta ,rewording of a few edges and clarifications. The changes are contained on a two page pdf on the great white games site.

LogicsFate

First Post
Hello,
I'd like to throw in for this one.

I've been looking the material over and the Mad Scientist looks like a fun time. I'd need some more information on learning powers and how to make devices. Since I don't have the books. :heh:

If that's not possible, I could go for Preacher(my second choice) or Buffalo Gal

Express

First Post
LogicsFate said:
Hello,
I'd like to throw in for this one.

I've been looking the material over and the Mad Scientist looks like a fun time. I'd need some more information on learning powers and how to make devices. Since I don't have the books. :heh:

If that's not possible, I could go for Preacher(my second choice) or Buffalo Gal

Ok, bear with me. Weird Science operates a little different than other Arcane Backgrounds. A character with Weird Science edge gets one power and 10 power points. The power for a mad scientist isnt a spell like a Huckster would have, rather its a gizmo- a physical manifestation that he creates.

The gizmo has the same power points of the creator - 10 in the case of the example Scientist. The device uses power points of its power- 2 each time in the example- the device is used. Since the device is a gun the scientist would use his shooting skill to use it. The gizmos power points recharge as a hucksters would.

Also, the example scientist has the gadgeteer edge. He can, once a game session create a gizmo "In the field". This device can be of any power available to Weird Science (rank restriction still apply)or he can duplicate a power he already has. He needs 1d20 minutes and some sort of material. This jury rigged device has half the weird scientists power points, and when they are used up the device is used up.

Still with me? Its easier than Ive explained it.

The main advantage of this is that the gizmos are physical manifestations of arcane power. A scientist could hand the weapon to another character to use. There is the danger of malfunction of course. If the gizmo is lost it can be replaced. And weird scientists have the skills to turn on and interact with artifacts or infernal devices.

Last edited:

Remove ads