• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deadlands-The Savage West

LogicsFate

First Post
I love the degenerating sanity, so far in my gaming career, I've always avoided it.

OK, let me make sure I have this right

I'll have one power... Proply that flame burst one, as sugested I think.
I'll have 10 power points but that will only matter to the gizmos I make.
My opening devices ability cost 2pp so that device can shoot 5 times a day.
Others can use my stuff... theives everywhere. "No, get away! It's mine!"
and finally It could blow up in my or my test subjects face.

Good deal... Now for just a few more questions

How do I learn more powers... or, create new devices?
How much does it cost to make or replace devices?

And I figure I'll learn more about artifacts and infernal devices in game :D

LogicsFate

First Post
Accually do I even start with any powers, there are none listed. The flame thrower on the character sheet, does that refer to the 2d10 shots based on pp Gizmo, or the 3d10 30 shot Infernal device?

Sorry about all the questions

Express

First Post
LogicsFate said:
Accually do I even start with any powers, there are none listed. The flame thrower on the character sheet, does that refer to the 2d10 shots based on pp Gizmo, or the 3d10 30 shot Infernal device?

Sorry about all the questions

No problem. It is somewhat confusing. The flamethrower is your power-"contained" as the flamethrower. It has the same power points you have-10. (Technically speaking you dont have the power points, the flamethrower does). But the power points on your gizmo do recharge-1 every hour. Its hard to get used to I know, just think of it as physical trapping of you power. and if you had multiple gizmos, each would have a "tank" of power points equal to your PP total.

With me?

You learn other powers by taking a new power edge when you level and take a new power edge. That where the sanity check comes in.

Mechanically speaking, I think the weird science background is the weakest and strangest. But with the gadgeteer edge it can be fun since you can create new (albeit limited use) gizmos.

The infernal devices listed are abit more powerful and are sort of like magic items or devices in D&D. Months of work went into making them and they are a little different from the gizmos mad scientists create for themselves.

Clear as mud now?

Last edited:

LogicsFate

First Post
I completly get the first part(even though no one mention the pp regening thing ;) ) It threw me off that they would give the pre-gen a flamethrower, and then describe two different throwers, but I understand it all now.

Clear as crystal mud.

Express

First Post
LogicsFate said:
I completly get the first part(even though no one mention the pp regening thing ;) ) It threw me off that they would give the pre-gen a flamethrower, and then describe two different throwers, but I understand it all now.

Clear as crystal mud.

LOL. It helps to actually see the rules. The advantage of being a weird science type caster is that your devices have their own internal tank of pp. So if you level and invent an invisibility belt, your belt has 10 pp to use and your flamethrower has 10 pp to use.
A huckster would have to use his 10pp for all the 3 or so powers he knows. So its kind of a (in d20 terms) sorcerer vs wizard kind of thing.

Plus mad scientists have the corner on the "use device" type power.

And for what its worth, Ill divide the game into chapters that will represent game 'sessions'. And you may be able to get enough xp to level and gain a power edge. You only need to 5 to advance.

LogicsFate

First Post
5 sessions?(Edit: Wait you meant we need 5 levels then we leave novice and I can start getting the next level of powers, I belive)
Ow, That can be a long time in Pbp... EVERYONE, we need to crank out the pages when this starts up! Daddy needs an invisabelt! (and some dementia);)

I'll work up a short backround and post the characters sheet, sometime tonight or tomorrow.

O and crystal mud is a good thing.

Thanee

First Post
Deadlands is fun! :D

If you are still looking for characters, I'd like to join as a ...

Express said:
Buffalo Gal

That was actually the character (well based on the archetype at least), which I played in Deadlands once. :)

Bye
Thanee

Express

First Post
LogicsFate said:
5 sessions?(Edit: Wait you meant we need 5 levels then we leave novice and I can start getting the next level of powers, I belive)
Ow, That can be a long time in Pbp... EVERYONE, we need to crank out the pages when this starts up! Daddy needs an invisabelt! (and some dementia);)

I'll work up a short backround and post the characters sheet, sometime tonight or tomorrow.

O and crystal mud is a good thing.

Hehe. By 5 I meant 5 xp points. There are five ranks in SW, ranging from Novice to Legendary. After 19 points you level in rank from Novice to the next rank Seasoned. But every 5 points you gain, regardless of rank, you can advance your character and pick up new powers raise a skill, etc..

So no, you wont have to wait 5 sessions to get a new death ray :)

Express

First Post
Thanee said:
Deadlands is fun! :D

If you are still looking for characters, I'd like to join as a ...

That was actually the character (well based on the archetype at least), which I played in Deadlands once. :)

Bye
Thanee

Cool welcome aboard. The posse is growing. (And I had no idea Deadlands was so popular overseas- and not one but 2 Aussies!)

Looks like we have:

D20Dazza- Muckracker
Boddynock- Huckster
Dayspire- Gunslinger
LogicsFate- Mad Scientist
Thanee- Buffalo Gal

Remove ads