• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dealing with A Long-term Campaign (100+ In-game Years)

TheSethGrey

First Post
So, I've been mulling over the basic idea of a campaign of a that lasts longer then their character's life span, so they'd adventure, follow the story of the campaign, maybe make a home for their adventuring crew, have a family and some sort of heir who'd the PC will play when their old character dies of old age, but I'm having trouble thinking of a good mechanic for dealing with such a situation. I don't want them to start at level one, it'll feel like they wasted all that time, and likely all their magic items will go to their heir, but their heir might be a wizard when their old character was say a fighter so not all the magic items might transfer well.

Has any d20 system had a rule for something like this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd take advantage of the opportunity to mess with level progression. For example, you could start the campaign with 13th level characters, do a middle section with 3rd levels, and finish up with a group at 9th or so. Depending on the types of encounters the plot needs.

Don't forget to consider that the elves in the party might still be young and sprightly as the human generations pass.

TheSethGrey

First Post
I'd take advantage of the opportunity to mess with level progression. For example, you could start the campaign with 13th level characters, do a middle section with 3rd levels, and finish up with a group at 9th or so. Depending on the types of encounters the plot needs.

Don't forget to consider that the elves in the party might still be young and sprightly as the human generations pass.

Yeah, there's a race in this setting that can't die of age, so that's something that might very well happen, so I'll roll with the punches if the group picks characters that don't age as quickly as humans do.

Eleclipse

First Post
I'm not 100% sure but i think that the material in the pathfinder manual "ultimate campaign" can help you.

It set the rule to create, run and improve organization, town, kingdom and so on, this include usually large amount of time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads