• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Dealing with a trouble player and a major blow up

there is another option.... I used to play with this guy Randy. He was a jerk. We disagreed about almost everything, politics (RL), Religion (RL), Ethics (RL), and eve how to game... I found once I started laughing with him instead of disagreeing games went better. for the first month or so it was hard, but then it become a game within the game... "Hey he says the mod is dumb, just agree 'Randy is right' then paroit back his own ideas... sometimes make them MORE outlandish... when around him act like a parody of him... then after a while I actually found common ground with the guy.

aramis erak

Legend
This can't be real.

Adults can't act like this.

I roll to disbelieve!

[video=youtube;sye2NanCYHI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sye2NanCYHI[/video]

As for
What? Tyrants must be overthrown. They turn people into slaves, cowards, and scum.

Rightful ruler or not, evil tyrants have to go down. Even a Lawful Good person should seek to bring them down.

Biring him down ≠ kill him. LG should be bringing him out of power by less violent means. Like putting a helm of Lawful Good on them.

And, just to lighten the mood and illustrate my view of LG a little more clearly...

What do you call a LG Assassin? The King's Headsman.

GameOgre

Adventurer
Sleep with his girlfriend! Nothing says "Hey there buddy" like a little rough and tumble with a guys girlfriend right before game night!

For extra points let him know and talk about it's effect on your and his alignment! Then get into a fistfight about the alignment effects only.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Honestly, it wasn't my intention to start the discussion again.

Really? You figure you're going to post it on a public *discussion* board, and not discuss it? Who are you trying to convince with that? Surely not us!

The discussion is never exactly good for me.

Neither, it seems, are your gaming sessions of late.

It mostly consists of people telling me I'm not in my right mind, that there's something wrong with me, or that I'm insane for not wanting to lose my friends.

I'll put it a bit more gently - you do show some of the signs of being in an abusive relationship. Including, after being abused several times, making excuses and going back. You speak time and again about how this person is horrible to you, and others around you. You speak of your anxiety that he's going to blow up at you again. But you... Keep. Going. Back.

How many times do you need to burn your hand before you stop sticking it over the stove, Majoru? I don't care if they're also feeding you ice cream - you're repeatedly getting burned and refusing to do anything about it! I don't call it insane, but it isn't *reasonable* either.

It involves people telling me I must be lying because no one acts as badly as the guy in question.

If it helps, I have seen worse.

It involves people telling me that everything that happened was my fault and the guy in question has every right to act the way he does.

In this last one, I do still think you took a misstep. You made it personal. The "I was speaking in-character" is not really a valid idea from someone who's been around here as much as you have, who knows that, "This is what my character would do," is rarely a valid reason to disrupt a game. It isn't like you don't know the guy, don't know that he and his characters aren't really separate, such that calling out one like that is calling out the other.

Trust me, the discussion does not make me feel good.

Then, for goodness sake, *STOP*. Is this a theme with you, continuing with things that are unpleasant?

But I felt obligated...

You aren't.

You are hereby absolved of any and all obligation on this topic to this thread and its posters, by the second-highest authority available on these boards!

See? Even in mod-voice color, to make it clear. If you want, I will close the thread and make it so you *cannot* post to it again.

But now, take that same logic back to your game. You are not obligated. It is unpleasant. But you... Keep. Going. Back. You might want to put some serious thought into that..

If you continue to dismiss the suggestion that you leave, you really do have nobody to blame but yourself for the bad experiences. He is not going to change his ways. It *WILL HAPPEN AGAIN*. Over and over, for as along as you choose to subject yourself to it.

Last edited:

GameOgre

Adventurer
This is going to end in tragedy just like all those battered women stories where the women finally can't take any more and Michael Myers everyone! Dude just walk away now! Let the hurting stop!

"Really? You think you know better than the ruler of a country? You think you can just go around murdering world leaders because you disagree with them and you think murdering them makes you GOOD? Why would murder ever be good? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard."
you know if nothing else come of this, I think this train of thought is something that can be VERY productive to think about, as long as you realize there are a few right answers that disagree with each other...

style of play comes up here.

The answer says as much about the games you play in as "Is it OK to kill orcs for being orcs?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads