• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dealing with Heavy Armor in a Swashbuckling Campaign

Archon of Light

First Post
This is a work in progress, so expect things to change as it is needed and critiqued. I am writing this for a campaign using the Savage Tide Adventure Path out of Dungeon magazine. Characters are using the 32-point buy method and are expected to run the entire length of the campaign. This should be adaptable to any campaign where the heat and humidity might make heavy armors hazardous to wear for most characters, though your mileage may vary. Feel free to critque, make suggestions, and throw in some of your own opinions and ideas. What works for me may not work for you, but I'm always listening for perspectives and thoughts that I may have not thought of on my own yet. Anything you have to offer will only help me to better troubleshoot it's potential before I implement it into the campaign. Thanks in advance, and enjoy.

Heavy Armor in the Campaign
Unlike most ‘typical’ fantasy campaigns, heavy armor is not very common in this particular kind of setting. The hot and humid climate makes it very uncomfortable to wear for any long periods of time, and can be potentially dangerous to the wearer. The longer a person continues to wear heavy, metallic armors, the greater the risk becomes. Without taking extraordinary measures and precautions, a person will eventually succumb to the perils of prolonged exposure to heat. These may include suffering from dehydration, exhaustion, and even heat stroke.

For those who live or operate near open waters, however, the risk of drowning is a far more immediate danger. While wearing heavy armor, even a strong swimmer will be greatly impeded by wearing what is essentially an anchor. For this reason, it is not recommended to wear such armor on a ship where there is always a likely chance of falling overboard. In a fight, it is not uncommon for devious or cruel men to shove such a heavily armored opponent into a nearby body of shallow water. It only takes a few feet for the victim to find himself at the bottom and unable to reach the surface for air.

Because of these potential hazards, most people simply avoid using heavy armors even when given the opportunity to do so. That is not to suggest that heavy armors do not exist or are never used at all. It is simply less practiced and not as common as other places. Gladiators, for example, need not fear these dangerous when putting on a short exhibition for a single fight on dry land. The extra protection will certainly benefit them by donning the armor for a short while.

Adventurers, on the other hand, cannot simply ignore the potential for a greater defense, especially the fighters, paladins, and clerics. Some will brave the risks, and the wise will learn to take certain precautions while doing so. A spell like endure elements, for example, will allow a person to wear the armors comfortably for as long as the spell lasts, or at least until it is dispelled. Even so, the spell provides little comfort to a drowning man.

Without magical assistance, which is not always readily available to everyone, it just seems impractical to expect that most characters would take the time to learn how to use such armor. Instead, they may redirect their training in becoming proficient with heavy armors to learn new abilities or techniques that will compensate for not wearing it. This section provides details and information on alternative options for characters that may normally receive Heavy Armor Proficiency as a class feature.

The Hazards of Wearing Heavy Armor
Because of the greater humidity, this region is considered to have very hot conditions whenever the temperature gets above 80 degrees F, and severe heat conditions above 100 degrees F. For more information regarding heat dangers, refer to the DMG, p303.

Character Options
Out of all the character classes, fighters, clerics, and paladins will be impacted the most by this change. Being able to wear heavy armor is a definitive trait for these front-line combatants whose best defense can often be summed up by the amount of protection their armors provide. To compensate for this, new alternative class features are being introduced for this particular campaign.

These new class features were designed to replace the use of heavier armors as a standard class feature in a way that reflects the style and flavor of this setting, while maintaining a sense of game balance. Since most adventurers do not usually acquire heavier armors very early in their careers, many of these options will not be gained until the characters reach a few levels higher (usually around fourth). Depending on the relative strength of these new abilities, some will require characters to lose other class features or simply replace them with their new ability. Regardless, all of them require characters to ‘lose’ their Heavy Armor Proficiency at first level as an initial ‘buy-in’ to gain these features later on.

It should be noted that anyone is still allowed to gain the Heavy Armor Proficiency feat normally, even if they lost it to gain one of these new class features. This is perfectly acceptable since the risks of wearing such armors are always present and one proceeds at their own risk. However, in the interest of fairness and balance (and to prevent potential abuse), it should also be noted that most of these new features will not function while the character is wearing heavy armor. This is not unlike many other class features of classes like rangers and barbarians who, while free to use heavier armors, are not able to utilize certain skills when not using their favored armor types.

Fighters
Most fighters rely on their armor to protect them while they focus on their strength and skills in combat to get past their opponents’ own defenses. Without heavier armors, fighters find different techniques or abilities to gain better defensive capabilities for them to survive a battle.

Damage Reduction (Ex)
Similar to the barbarian’s class feature, the fighter is able to absorb or shrug off some amount of injury from each blow or attack. Beginning at 5th level, the character gains damage reduction 1/-, and improves by one point for every five levels thereafter (i.e. 2/- at 10th level, 3/- at 15th level, and 4/- at 20th level).

A fighter who chooses Damage Reduction as a class feature does not gain Heavy Armor Proficiency at first level. Furthermore, he does not receive a bonus feat at levels 10 and 20. Unlike most of the other class features here, however, the character will still benefit from this ability while wearing heavy armor.

Martial Defense Discipline (Ex)
Some warriors believe that the best defense in a battle comes from one’s own skills. Such fighters disdain the use of heavier armors because they can severely impede their maneuverability, and may consider it a sign of weakness or a lack of faith in one’s own ability.

Beginning at 4th level, the fighter adds a 1-point competence bonus to his Armor Class while wearing medium or lighter armor and not carrying a heavy load. This bonus increases to +2 at level 11 and +3 at level 18.

This bonus applies to Armor Class even against touch attacks, but not if the character is caught flat-footed, when he becomes immobilized, or is helpless. This ability does not function whenever heavy armor is worn.

A fighter who trains in the Martial Defense Discipline does not gain Heavy Armor Proficiency at first level. The fighter does not gain a bonus feat at levels 4 and 18.

More to come...

Last edited:

Archon of Light

First Post
Last Call!

I've made some revisions since the first post based on a lot of my own decisions, as well as a few critiques from other message boards that actually responded to my post. I've always thought that the EN community was a little better than the rest, but I didn't expect to have to goad them into making some kind of response.

Obviously, the first draft wasn't very good, but I've revised it from top to bottom and went in a whole new (and better) direction with this. I'm hoping to get some constructive feedback this time and I'm going to give the ENers one more chance. I know somebody has something to say about this... if not, I won't bother asking again.

Stratovarius

First Post
My first reaction, reading through it, is that the costs (two feats) is not worth the benefit granted, and that the fighter can get a greater utility out of the feat than he can out of the boosts, especially with regards to the second option, where the fighter loses a feat at level 4, but does not get the +2 to AC until level 11, and he's already down a feat from the HAP. Also, if the fighter is planning any entry to prestige classes, these options are end loaded enough that he most likely won't choose them, as they simply delay his getting out of the fighter class and into something like the Dread Pirate or Scarlet Corsair.

Archon of Light

First Post
Stratovarius said:
My first reaction, reading through it, is that the costs (two feats) is not worth the benefit granted, and that the fighter can get a greater utility out of the feat than he can out of the boosts, especially with regards to the second option, where the fighter loses a feat at level 4, but does not get the +2 to AC until level 11, and he's already down a feat from the HAP. Also, if the fighter is planning any entry to prestige classes, these options are end loaded enough that he most likely won't choose them, as they simply delay his getting out of the fighter class and into something like the Dread Pirate or Scarlet Corsair.

That is music to my ears, friend! :D

I've had others tell me the opposite, saying it's almost too good. Your statements validate this to be more opinion than fact, which means that most people will decide for themselves if it's worth taking for their characters. From where I'm sitting, this makes it a very good design. Thanks!

Stratovarius

First Post
Archon of Light said:
That is music to my ears, friend! :D

I've had others tell me the opposite, saying it's almost too good. Your statements validate this to be more opinion than fact, which means that most people will decide for themselves if it's worth taking for their characters. From where I'm sitting, this makes it a very good design. Thanks!

Do take it with a grain of salt. Despite my designing tendencies (*waves at Ritual Magic further down this forum*), I don't actually play melee characters that much, unless they have a fair splash of spellcasting to them, and that goes a long way towards upping the power level. If you've designed it so that players consider it seriously, you've done well.

Taste the indecision? That's balance, right there. - Tempest Stormwind more or less describes my view of balance.

FireLance

Legend
Here are some ideas I've had for compensating for medium and heavy armor in a low-technology world where metal armor is not available. With some tweaking (and the proviso that they only work when wearing light armor), you might be able to use them:

Compensating for Medium Armor: Alternate Abilities

Due to the low levels of technology, the characters will generally be limited to leather and hide armor. Hide armor (and most medium armors, actually) is not really very good. To compensate, characters with medium armor proficiency may select one of the following abilities instead:

1. Cautious Defence: The character may move at half speed for the round in order to gain a +1 dodge bonus to AC till the start of his next turn.

This option most closely simulates the trade-off between light and medium armor as it provides a small boost to AC at the cost of reduced movement.

2. Enhanced Vitality: The character gains temporary hit points equal to twice his character level at the start of each encounter. These temporary hit points last for the duration of the encounter.

This option simulates the effect of having a higher AC by providing the character with a small amount of temporary hp to offset the damage taken from attacks that would otherwise have missed him due to his higher AC.

3. Sun's Flash: Once per round, as a free action, the character may make a ranged attack roll against an opponent within 30 feet. If he succeeds, the opponent is dazzled for one round. The character must be standing in an area at least as bright as a daylight spell, and must be holding or wearing a reflective object (such as a mirror or a well-polished weapon) in order to use this ability.

This option imposes a small penalty on an opponent's attacks that also applies to the character's allies. To balance this, the ability is made more situational. It will not work at night, or in an area of shadow illumination, or against a creature with blindsight, for example.​

Compensating for Heavy Armor: More Alternate Abilities

Heavy armor is a significant improvement over medium or light armor, so the compensatory abilities ought to be pretty good.

1. Greater Cautious Defence: The character may move at half speed for the round in order to gain a +3 dodge bonus to AC till the start of his next turn. The character need not have Cautious Defence to gain this ability. A character with Cautious Defence and Greater Cautious Defence gains a +4 dodge bonus to AC in a round that he moves at half speed.

2. Erratic Defence: The character's fighting style incorporates random dodges and sudden, unpredictable changes in position. Attack rolls against the character suffer a 20% miss chance. The miss chance applies even to attacks made against the character when he is flat-footed or denied his Dexterity bonus to AC, but not when he is immobilized.

A 20% miss chance effectively lowers the attacker's chance of hitting by 20%, so barring the corner cases where the attacker's attack bonus equals or exceeds the character's AC, or is 20 or more points lower, this translates into an AC bonus of between +0 to +4. In the case where the attacker's chance of hitting is exactly 50%, this reduces the chance of hitting to 40% - the equivalent of a +2 bonus to AC.

3. Parry: The character may oppose an attack roll (but not a touch attack roll) made against him with a melee attack roll. The result of his melee attack roll effectively becomes his AC against that attack. This is a reaction to being attacked (not an action), but it utilizes one of the character's attacks of opportunity for the round. The character may parry multiple times in a round if he has multiple attacks of opportunity (e.g. if he had the Combat Reflexes feat), but each subsequent attempt is made at a cumulative -5 penalty.

Optional modifiers: A character parrying with a heavy shield or tower shield gains a +4 bonus on his attack roll. A character parrying with a light shield or buckler gains a +2 bonus on his attack roll. A character using a one-handed weapon to parry a two-handed weapon or a light weapon to parry a one-handed weapon suffers a -2 penalty on his attack roll. A character using a light weapon to parry a two-handed weapon suffers a -4 penalty on his attack roll. A character suffers a cumulative -2 penalty on his attack roll for each size category he is smaller than his attacker.

This option gives a character an even chance of negating one attack per round from an opponent of equal skill. This ability is less useful against multiple opponents and opponents with multiple attacks. Combat Reflexes helps somewhat against multiple attacks, but suffers from rapidly diminishing returns.​

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads