• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Death and Spells.

If a character dies, do all active spells on then cease to function. The reason I ask is that in he campaign I am playing in we have just resurrecteda cahracter who had a wuite a few long lasting buff spells and a few de-buff spells on them. None of our group were sure wether the spells would be still active once they were brought back from the dead.

Krelios

First Post
Note: This is unfortunate if you happen to lob a fireball at the BBEG and accidentally knock an ally to -1 hp while he is invisible, only to find his body 9 minutes and 6 rounds later... :(

kenobi65

First Post
Unless a spell is maintained by concentration, it'll keep going until it reaches the end of its duration *, regardless of the disposition of the caster. Once it's been cast, it's independent of the caster.

* - Unless it's actively dispelled (i.e., dispel magic), specifically dismissed by the caster, or somehow encounters another spell or effect that causes it to be ended prematurely.

Edit: a rat-bastard DM might argue that spells that the deceased had cast upon himself would have to be checked when the caster died, as they might no longer have a legal target (e.g., Bull's Strength targets a creature, but a dead body is no longer a creature...)

NimrodvanHall

First Post
all spells keep fuctioning, except for those that cannot function on an object. untill their duration runs out.

(in our campeign we use a house rule that all dismissable spells end as soon as the caster loses concience, but we also use a house rule that states that dismissing a spell is a free action.
i personally think this gives magic a bit more flavour)

the Jester

Legend
This leads to an interesting thought.

Let's say you have bull's strength, mirror image and see invisibility running and you are slain by an undead that has the create spawn special ability. A round later you rise as an undead- with bull's strength, mirror image and see invisibility, at least for a few moments.

kenobi65 said:
Edit: a rat-bastard DM might argue that spells that the deceased had cast upon himself would have to be checked when the caster died, as they might no longer have a legal target (e.g., Bull's Strength targets a creature, but a dead body is no longer a creature...)

The target does not matter once the spell is cast. I direct you to the targeting rules and the Shillelagh spell. :)

A person who dies after becoming the recipient of a Bull's Strength spell becomes a particularly strong corpse.

Remove ads